The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting A Spoiler

MARCUS1979

Hi

Thinking about attempting to fit my TRD spoiler myself.

Is there anyone who has done it that can give me any advice on the best way to fit it and anything that i should be using (sealant etc).

Dont really want to mess it up and be left with loads of holes in the boot lid.

Have no spoiler on the car at the mo so have no holes in the boot at all.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

maybe worth popping off the inner bootlid trim and seeing if the holes that used to be there for the original spoiler are visible. if they are and only welded/ badly filled then you could get away with drilling them back out yourself, buy a decent drill and bit though. The htrd spoiler uses the original holes, if your doing it freehand from above then maybe best get a pro to do it :)

Also, if you do get that far I found using sikaflex/tigerseal was a good idea, especially round the bolts, this stops and water ingress into the boot and also rusting the holes.

Marcus, I have the TRD spoiler fitted and I'm in east sussex if you wanna meet sometime to have a look. Also tigerseal and sikaflex is available from any motorfactor

Ok cheers mate

Will let you know if needs be

Is there any preference to which is better the sikaflex or the tigerseal cos will need some also for when i get round to fitting the rear spats

I'm planning on having a go at mine tomorrow. The holes are already there from stock though so i can't help there. However, i don't want to make my spoiler permanant. I want to be able to take it off when i feel like it so instead of sealing it onto the car i am putting a ring of black silicone round the hole so that when i screw it down i will get a watertight seal.

Thats the idea anyway :D

My car did not have a spoiler either and there was no holes in the boot lid.If you are going to fit the spoiler yourself you will have to use masking tape on the area where you're going to drill the holes.Make a templet out of thin carboard that matches the bolts from the spoiler.Remember to measure twise and drill once :)