The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank Pulley

simbasupra

Due to my v-belt cracking and crankshaft seal leaking i am going to change the cambelt at the same time. Recently i have been hearing a bird chirping noise:) and fear it could be my crank pulley starting to go.

After having a search of old threads i still have a few questions for you guys.

1. If it was the crank pulley starting to go would the noise be constant? As It definately doesn't do it at idle or stationary reving it, and can only really hear it at lower speeds.

2. Going on previous threads i will be going for a new OEM crank pulley. Has anybody ever (chromed, power coated etc.) these. I'm not sure if this would be ok or it would affect the balance?

Thanks

Thought that would be the case:(, any thoughts on the 1st question?

I have no experience of a failed crank pulley yet! but i would be inclined to check its position in relation to the centre, as i have heard that one of the first signs apart from strange noises is that the outer part moves in or out.

I have no experience of a failed crank pulley yet! but i would be inclined to check its position in relation to the centre, as i have heard that one of the first signs apart from strange noises is that the outer part moves in or out.

Will have to have a better look. All i have done so far is watch the pulley when stationary for any movment and gave it a wiggle to see if there was any play in the pulley. Both seemed fine.

Thanks

*subscribed* I have a noise also and fear it may be the crank pully. I've already sourced another factory one just in case. Have you tried taking off the accessory belt and turning the engine over? I've heard (only heard not tested) this helps to eliminate all the accessory pullys and is not damaging if it's only done for a short period (water would not be pumped through the engine).

*subscribed* I have a noise also and fear it may be the crank pully. I've already sourced another factory one just in case. Have you tried taking off the accessory belt and turning the engine over? I've heard (only heard not tested) this helps to eliminate all the accessory pullys and is not damaging if it's only done for a short period (water would not be pumped through the engine).

yeah that is true that it will eliminate all accessory pulleys however i can only hear the noise when driving so don't want to go down the road with the belt off. I might just get one seeing as it's done it's fair share of years.

Thought i would just update you guys just in case you get a similar problem. It turned out to be the bonnet squeeking:d,

With the handbrake applied and whilst in gear I raised the clutch to the biting point to recreate the noise. I then popped the bonnet and asked a mate to listen but couldn't get it to do it again so shut the bonnet, went to drive away and it does it again. With the bonnet down we pinpointed the noise to be the bonnet vibrating where the adjusters were not high enough. After raising them the noise went away:rolleyes:

my crank pully sounded like a slipping fan belt on start up. It looked 100% fine however it let go when I was chasing a boxter down (I was in my SZ). The dash light up like the enterprise and ended up coasting into a field enterence and waited for the AA

my crank pully sounded like a slipping fan belt on start up. It looked 100% fine however it let go when I was chasing a boxter down (I was in my SZ). The dash light up like the enterprise and ended up coasting into a field enterence and waited for the AA

Ahh that's good to know what one sounds like. So you just thought your fan belt would have need tightening/replacing?

thats exactly it I thought that was all it was until it went bang and the dash light up. The person on the AA phone was in stitches when they said "can you identify the problem sir" "Yes I am holding my crank pulley in my hand"

• 2 months later...