The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra tuning

garycTT

My supra has been in storage for the last two years and im thinking about putting some money into it to go for some big (ish) power.

Spec wise just now it is standard apart from HKS filter and Apexi exhaust. I do have an HKS limit cut controller and a Greddy Profec 2 boost controller but these are not fitted.

Brakes and suspension are going to be uprated obviously but if I had around 7k to invest (excluding brakes and suspension) and took the car to a reputable tuner ie whifbitz/envy or the like what sort of results could I expect horsepower wise ?

Cheers

Gary

You might be able to get a single setup. If insurance isn't an issue and won't eat into the 7k of funds that is.

As your in scotland i would take it to one of the reputable Scottish tuners. They would be much much cheaper. If you gave The Garage 7k and your sup i reckon you would probably see 600bhp.

Insurance is not an issue, neither is fuel consumption. The car is just for some fun and the odd track day. Who in Scotland could tune it?

Another question, how fast would it be with around 600 bhp? If I do go down this route I would want to make it quicker than the TVR Cerbera I drive just now.

As your in scotland i would take it to one of the reputable Scottish tuners. They would be much much cheaper. If you gave The Garage 7k and your sup i reckon you would probably see 600bhp.

Which ones are they then:d

It doesnt sound like a daily runner, so if your handy with a spanner I'd give it a go myself(buy some proper tools first though), make sure you spec the parts properly, buy them in from the U.S, usually a lot cheaper and quicker for some weird reason too

If you dont have time to work on the engine try taking it to a garage you trust, but in all honesty theres not a lot of folk in Scotland that will have built and tuned a supra(Mark at The Garage?...expect a long wait), their only gonna be doing exactly what you will be doing learning, and improvising as they go along, theres loads of bolt on kits so there wont be much(if any) need for custom fabrication

If you do it yourself, it also gives you access to pinpoint what else needs done on the car too

I was hopeing it would be quick with that kind of power !!!

I thend to agree about Scottish tuners, there is probably more experience of this kind of engine build down south.

There is no real rush to get the car built, so trying it myself could be a possibility, but not sure if it would be beyond my ability though.

I have been looking on line at parts, and yes ordering from the states is cheaper. I have delt with Titan motorsports and Suprastore.com before. Only concern is ordering up one of their bolt on upgrade packages and a tuner not wanting to fit them or advising me ive bought the wrong parts.

Edited by garycTT (see edit history)

From standard to 600 BHP with 7K, is that possible with quality parts ? I am not so sure, or I have been paying way too much

GT4088R Territory, possible assuming his stock internals in good condition, compression tests and leak down tests should be able to give you a rough idea,

This is not what I would spec but your roughly looking at

AEM - 1100

HKS DLI - 150

Downpipe and Midpipe 3inch - 450

PHR Stage 1 Fuel System - 1100

SMIC or FMIC - 700 - 1000

NIC's GT35R kit or GT4088R, or BLT61-2/67, all dependant on power goals, about 3.5K

It would be pretty tight and no room for labour costs, if you have never tried this before, you will need a decent large socket set, and various spanners/grips/clips e.t.c, probably about 200quid

Check out TLicense 'Blitz Twin Turbo installation' a lot of the pics wont make sense at first but if you have the basic idea of a simple single turbo car then you should be ok

Guest Nicholas

Hmmmmm

Single turbo kit

Decent exhaust

ECU & mapping

Fuel pumps, lines, fpr, rail and injectors

FMIC

decent brakes

I'd say you don't have much chance of getting it done for £7k I think you'd be looking more around the 10-12k mark if you want it done properly.

The car is a manual, and is Jap spec.

Engine internals should be fine as I have ownered car about 6 years, so know its history. It has been well maintined, not driven hard and mileage is fairly low.

I am going to do some research over the weekend. I want make the car quick but dont want to stress the internals too much - dont want it to break every other month!

advice appreciated.

ECU & mapping

Forgot about the mapping, clutch and cams!Erm you can add an extra 3g on to that then including fuel costs during mapping e.t.c, and labour for the clutch install

I assume your apexi' exhaust is in good condition too and its 3" diameter, you could go bpu for less than half the price, then spend the rest on suspension, you will be amazed at how different the car behaves

As above its probably not a viable option on 7g, brakes then have to be considered too, your looking at a min of 11k I'd say, and thats not gonna be the 600bhp, you havent mentioned if your an auto or manual, the stock auto's can only handle about 530bhp

The supra engine is a beast and very capable but only if you throw ridiculous amounts of money at it, you could easily spend 10k on internals and head if you had to uprate them alone!

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

Which ones are they then:d

It doesnt sound like a daily runner, so if your handy with a spanner I'd give it a go myself(buy some proper tools first though), make sure you spec the parts properly, buy them in from the U.S, usually a lot cheaper and quicker for some weird reason too

If you dont have time to work on the engine try taking it to a garage you trust, but in all honesty theres not a lot of folk in Scotland that will have built and tuned a supra(Mark at The Garage?...expect a long wait), their only gonna be doing exactly what you will be doing learning, and improvising as they go along, theres loads of bolt on kits so there wont be much(if any) need for custom fabrication

If you do it yourself, it also gives you access to pinpoint what else needs done on the car too

As you said, Mark at The Garage. He just built a T88 Sup (is the t88 not a bit of a fossil though?)

Car is manual.

Apexi exhaust is like new so I would want to keep that.

I have a budget for brakes and suspension which will leave me about 7k for the engine. I dont have a horsepower figure in mind, just want an idea of what kind of money would achieve what kind of power. 7k is not a complete limit, just an idea of what I want to spend. If an extra thousand would make a big difference then I could up the budget.

As you said, Mark at The Garage. He just built a T88 Sup (is the t88 not a bit of a fossil though?)

Yes!I'd rather buy a truck!All T model turbos are old designs, you want a GT turbo now for response and drivability, I'm building my single 'single' handedly, maybe I should open up a garage:d

I'll get CW to do the internals though, but the stockers should last me for a few months on moderate boost

For 7k go bpu, you dont really want to be spending 11k plus on a 13yr old car, when resale value is rubbish, its just not worth the gains, I'm nearly at the finishing line, just waiting on more flamin parts

from bpu to single is a mahoosive jump financially, and about 100bhp of a difference until you start spending 11k plus

Forgot about the mapping, clutch and cams!Erm you can add an extra 3g on to that then including fuel costs during mapping e.t.c, and labour for the clutch install

I assume your apexi' exhaust is in good condition too and its 3" diameter, you could go bpu for less than half the price, then spend the rest on suspension, you will be amazed at how different the car behaves

As above its probably not a viable option on 7g, brakes then have to be considered too, your looking at a min of 11k I'd say, and thats not gonna be the 600bhp, you havent mentioned if your an auto or manual, the stock auto's can only handle about 530bhp

The supra engine is a beast and very capable but only if you throw ridiculous amounts of money at it, you could easily spend 10k on internals and head if you had to uprate them alone!

He has mentioned that its a manual.

Brakes and suspension are not to be included in the 7K...

you could get about 500 or thereabouts on a budget of 9k, no labour included, assuming you dont get stung for customs tax when importing the parts over

Add cams and your looking at 10k or thereabouts, I'm basing this on performance parts alone, you will then need a full service,

minimum service

valve stem oil seals

Oil and Filter change

Two sets of plugs for mapping

Gearbox oil

Diff oil

Coolant

Timing Belt

bla bla bla

Then your going to want monitors and gauges to protect the investment, and thats a minimum spec, oil coolers, water pump/oil pump, small fabrication for waterneck e.t.c. e.t.c all for the high 500mark

You are looking at a minimum 11k, the list goes on, now you've just made me upset and reminded me where my 17K has went!:(