The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tesco online quote problem?

toyotasuprauk

IMHO you are always better off talking to someone on the phone when it comes to insuring a car like the MKIV, you are much less likely to get nasty surprises when the policy details and bill comes in. On line quotes being way out or getting a refusal to insure the car are common occurances. Surprisingly there are still a lot of companies who know little about the MKIV

When trying to get insurance after a ban, no online companies would offer quotes. But a few quick phone calls soon had a reasonable quote give the circumstance.

WHAT!!! You have to be joking.

When I bought my car my insurance details were

24 years old

0 NCB

No crashes in last 3 years

No Convictions

Car parked in communal car park

Elephant quoted for my 1993 GZ (TT) £850!

I later added some alloys which added £60

That was on the 10 month bonus accelerator though.

This year my renewal was £680. Converting it to a manual cost £12 (WTF? £12? £6 of that was a fee for admin!!)

Adding an AEM and associated gubbins was £30. (OK I said it was only going to be up to a 10% performance increase, but to be honest, I could map it to be a performance decrease if needed ;) )

Like I said though that was on a TT, so why you're getting high quotes for a NA is ridiculous. Do you live in a rough area? Saying that when we moved, Tesco's put my girlfirends insurance up by £50 saying it was a high crime area. Elephant reduced mine by £30. :twak:

I hate insurance companies

Originally posted by toyotasuprauk

Perhaps I shouldn't be complaining so much about the ridiculous cost of insuring an import then! Its times like these I need a UK car.

These prices aren't that good Faye as they are only TPFT not fully comprehensive. Best quote for fully comprehensive so far is £1500 with Bell direct.

Okay I'll stop sulking now.:D

According to one insurance company - can't remember before you ask, they charge as much as a TT because there are less NAs about so therefore getting hold of parts is harder :eek:

My postcode isn't a high risk area and the car is garaged.

Elephant are the cheapest but the problem is the bunch of hats they use for picking quotes out from doesn't cater for the NA Supra. I could insure it as an import TT for less than anyone else but if anything happened they would use that to get out of paying for it so I wouldn't do that.

Originally posted by toyotasuprauk

My postcode isn't a high risk area and the car is garaged.

Elephant are the cheapest but the problem is the bunch of hats they use for picking quotes out from doesn't cater for the NA Supra. I could insure it as an import TT for less than anyone else but if anything happened they would use that to get out of paying for it so I wouldn't do that.

Yep its ridiculous isn't it. I got a quote off Diamond for an import TT and it was about £600. But low and behold they don't do the NA, I was well p*ssed off.