The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Parallel Turbos?

AlexJames

Hey guys, what do you thnk about hooking the turbos up to run in parallel instead of sequential? I have never heard of this before...

For those of you who havent heard of it, it makes the 2nd trubo start spinning as soon as boost is started being produced from the 1st.. giving u a smoother boost range, and supposedly, so a thread I read, gives u better performance!?:search:

it dsnt make the 2nd turbo start spnning as soon as boost is started but the other way round really!!

you will only have turbo activity only from 3.5/4k mark!! it will increse mpg but let the ecu "learn" that there is not boost under 3.5/4k....

prob a bit of black smoke in begining but not to horry about, it is only over fueling because it stll "thinks" there is 1st turbo but you dont have any!! DRive with ift for a week and it will be fine!!

as said already no performance increse!! :)

Toyota spent a lot of money designing the system to run as sequential, the ECU is designed to run a sequential system, going TTC doesn't run as well as can be proven on a dyno. If you run TTC you really should run some sort of additional ECU control to do it properly.

it dsnt make the 2nd turbo start spnning as soon as boost is started but the other way round really!!

you will only have turbo activity only from 3.5/4k mark!! it will increse mpg but let the ecu "learn" that there is not boost under 3.5/4k....

prob a bit of black smoke in begining but not to horry about, it is only over fueling because it stll "thinks" there is 1st turbo but you dont have any!! DRive with ift for a week and it will be fine!!

as said already no performance increse!! :)

The ecu on a jspec nonvvti is MAP based as such wouldn't think there is a 1st turbo.. it would be aware that there is no boost.

Here we go again, all the negative comments by people who have tried it ( and usually not done it correctly) and didn't like it.

Anyway correctly done its a very different driving experience, much more of a strong boost feel, and despite all the contrary remarks, mine is making 1 bar by 3,000 RPM:p

Here we go again, all the negative comments by people who have tried it ( and usually not done it correctly) and didn't like it.

Anyway correctly done its a very different driving experience, much more of a strong boost feel, and despite all the contrary remarks, mine is making 1 bar by 3,000 RPM:p

I agree, done properly its really nice. Im running mine in TTC at the moment, but I do have a Greddy Emanage going in within a couple of weeks. ;)

in sequentail both turbos are online and producing full boost at around 3800rpm+

in ttc both turbos are online by about 3300rpm+ producing full boost. hence 500rpm earlier.

This isnt alot in lower gears but on the motorway in 4th and especially 5th gear that 500rpm equates to a larger speed range where you have 2 turbos boosting instead of the one in sequantial.