The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When it rains, it pours :(

Pabs

Well damn,

Thought things were looking up for me and the Supra really. Bit miffed, but now, in 5 weeks of owning the car I've had to have done:

Full service inc. spark plugs/oil etc

2 new rear tyres (when I checked them @ purchase they were fine - but a nail + perishing on inside lip where I couldn't/didn't check)

Power steering leak fixed (pipes corroded)

Tax

Insurance

Wasn't expecting the tyres or power steering bits, both of which came to about £600 ish total. (I was expecting the rest and had managed to budget for them)But now I go to get the aircon refilled and find that I need the air con system looking at as it's leaking.

This lot comes in at around another £1000 to get fixed (genuine parts), which I definately can't afford this month.

Damn - this is the sort of stuff you cannot check when you buy a car - perhaps I should have had it checked, I don't know - but now I need to try and source the parts as cheap as possible and get it all sorted. Already talking to CW about rads, but I just haven't got the dosh yet :(

Not a happy bunny.

Edited by Pabs (see edit history)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True Jamie. Its a shame though. Look on the bright side though, once its all done she should be running pretty darn well:)

As if! These things are never ending. The time I spend working on mine could possibly rival the time spent driving it.

Have been through the Air Con fixing chore also. Never believe the seller's "....it just needs a refill" line! Ho hum

Never believe the seller's "....it just needs a refill" line! Ho hum

true, hence why I got mine re-done. If it only actually needs doing then the person buying should get the owner to do it before you buy to prove there's nothing else wrong.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with it. It's worth it though if you stick with, just get the top off and go for a blast, you'll soon forget about it;)

Some of the AC parts are horribly expensive from Toyota. The best one I had a quote for was the 2 pipes that run from the bulk head to the expansion valve/evaporator (No more than a foot long): £314 + the vat!

I did a bit of home work and managed to source the parts I needed (expansion valve and drier) from a motor factors in Welling at a very good price. For the specific pipes I suggest trying 2nd hand ones, but check the condition carefully!

Oh and while the Rad is expensive, its got to be the easiest jobs of all to do on the Supra. I did it outside Steve Manley's parts door with hardly any tools. Its an exchange item!

BTW do you mean Rad or do you mean AC Evaporator? Evap from Toyota is £195 + vat less any discount you manage.

Hope that gives you some ideas.....

I needed to replace the AC 2 years ago. cost about £1100 in total as I needed the water pump done too. That included getting a second hand AC compressor and having a full refurb done. Came back like new. I also needed the receiver/drier and expansion valve replacing.

I think the AC has gone in the MR2 now :( Only owned it since last Friday but TBH I can't be bothered to get it fixed as I bought it a track car anyway.

Well now I've calmed down a bit, and lessened the shock, I'll give more info.

The price I put above is an "estimate" from the aircon guy using all genuine toyota parts - radiator from toyota is about £400 (I checked this), A/C condensor is about £200, plus labour, hoses, gaskets and aircon regassing, so I can see the figure is about right for that.

However, I don't think I'll go down that route - it's still going to be a huge unexpected cost, but I can source the parts cheaper I think. CW has already quoted me a much better price for a radiator than the toyota price.

Add all of that to the 2 new tyres, the PAS pipes fixing (had to get this custom-made as it was cheaper than buying the parts from toyota - around £400 for a pipe!), car needed new tax and insurance this month too..... although I budgetted for the last two, it's just caught me by suprise and left me totally skint.

Looks like I'll be selling my japfest tickets now - can't get the car back until saturday and don't particularly fancy driving with leaking rad etc.

Tyres and servicing are only normal running costs mate.

yes, I know. But when you buy the car with what appears to be perfectly fine tyres, only to then find out that one is perishing on the inside lip and the other has a 2 inch nail in, it's not something that I'd class as "normal"

I suppose when I buy a car in future I need to get an AA-check done, and the car a full going over so I can be certain this won't happen.

I don't blame the seller at all - he has already PM'd me and apologied for all the issues I'm having and assures me he wasn't aware of them - but I suppose these things would only be known if it was fully checked over by a pro.

surely there is some one on here who is into there light weight supra's actally try jay aka jevansio He may sell you his, He has ripped every thing else out of the soop so I cant see why not unless its already gone, check with him Im sure he will sort you a good deal if he still has it.

Lew.

I'm so glad my Supra is now just a toy for me as before I was doing silly miles in her and was always forking out for servicing :) But least once its done its done matey :)

yep - mine is a "toy" as well, so I don't rely on it for commuting etc. Actually toying with the idea of leaving it off the road longer than planned now (perhaps leaving it at the garage) until i can source all the bits.

The problem I have though, is I have no idea which bits I need to order to start with - I have a rough idea, but I'm going to ask the garage tomorrow if they or the aircon guy can provide a list of parts reqd. so I can shop about and see what I can get.

sorry to hear that mate.

Do yourself a favour and walk outside into the street, then take a look around at all the other cars. Yours is a 1000s better than ther average Joe's motor.

:thumbs:

Just wait, imagine driving around with the top off, the sun on your back and beating off the females with a shitty stick.

I was just reading this thinking I'll be taking mine off soon :), it may take a couple of weeks as I'll have to sort out a new aux belt for when the compressor goes, I'll PM ya if you want & give you 1st dibs if you haven't already had it sorted by then :)

I was just reading this thinking I'll be taking mine off soon :), it may take a couple of weeks as I'll have to sort out a new aux belt for when the compressor goes, I'll PM ya if you want & give you 1st dibs if you haven't already had it sorted by then :)

Hmmm, again, this may be ideal. I may be able to hold out until then, I need to source the other bits first anyway.

Please let me know how you get on, condition etc!

Cheers fella