The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra diesel

Guest veg oil man

Guest veg oil man

Hi,

I'm sure most of you will think i'm crazy :)

I make a living out of used cooking oil for use as fuel, and already run a fleet of vechiles on used chip fat.

I'm looking to build a weekend car i can take to track days and drive on the roads on lovely days like today, but as i have plenty of veg oil I want it to be a diesel, plus that way it can be a company car ;) (fun way to advertise)

So what i been thinking is getting a supra and fitting the Land crusier 4.2 TD engine, tunned up they can make good power and still run on chip fat. Has anyone bothered to do such a thing yet?

I already have a good 4.2 TD engine I rebuilt and tunned. It's been on a bench dino showing 341 bhp with 689 nm torque at the fly wheel. Not sure how this compares with a standard 3.0l TT? This engine went very well in the Hilux i had it fitted to and used to rip nobs off the dirt tyres i had fitted at the time.

I'm not sure on how to go about the gearbox yet, i would like it to be auto as the power is from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm so fast gear changes are needed.

If anyone has any ideas on gearbox let me knowm also i'm after a good supra TT thats got a nackered engine.

Thanks

Rob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a very novel idea, power wise it would be pretty near a BPU TT Supra but nearly twice the torque, think you would have trouble with a std auto gearbox with that torque figure though, better off with a manual, but others would maybe know of a suitable auto box,the only bit that bothers me is a Supra smelling like fish and chips:p

Sounds like an interesting project, good luck!

Whereabouts in East Sussex are you?

I think using an auto box will cause you no end of problems, the standard auto box in a Supra is ECU controlled and wouldn't have a clue how to behave with a diesel engine, being that the power bands and shift points would be completely different. Using a 6-speed Getrag would be the best choice, you'd just have to get a bell housing to adapt and that would throw all the torque you could throw at it. I think you might have issues running nearly 689Nm of torque through a stock autobox, that's roughly 500ft/lb and that's when they start getting a bit upset. Then you're looking at lots of oil coolers and uprated torque converters etc.

I've seen a few of those straight 6 diesel engines and they are not bad, make a fantastic motorwary cruiser, all that torque in 6th.

and good to see it would stay in the toyota family.

one last thing; gear ratios,

what does the engine max out at 4.5k? I have a feeling you would be well undergeared all round on a manual. Maybe ok on a track car but if you want to open the taps you would need a different ratio...

and withso much torque so low down would this not put extra strain on the box? (more power going through less teeth)

just my 2p :) .. good luck!

Subscribing into this one. I'm sure I've heard of people using the box from the hilux to take the huge torque that huge power supra's put out? If you know your existing box takes the power surely it would be better trying to alter that to get the power out than trying to mate the engine to a supra box?

Guest veg oil man

ah getting a Clean NA sounds like the way to go, much cheaper leaving more for extra power :)

it revs to 5k rpm but max bhp is is at 4,500 rpm.

Max torque of 689 nm is at 2100 rpm though ;) so no hanging about off the lights.

Maybe the land crusier auto box would fit, i know it can take the power.

best bet is buy the car and just see how it goes i guess, lots of cheap NA's about by looks of it.

About the smell, I love it! makes me laugh driving about with a food smell coming out the pipes :) always get funny looks, does make you hungary though

As much as people snigger about diesel I personally think its the way ahead. The audi R8 is going to have a diesel variant ffs and le mans was recently won by a diesel. There is still quite a lot of development potential in diesel but petrol is almost getting to its limit. When the government stop taxing it to death diesel will become a very viable fuel.

As much as people snigger about diesel I personally think its the way ahead. The audi R8 is going to have a diesel variant ffs and le mans was recently won by a diesel. There is still quite a lot of development potential in diesel but petrol is almost getting to its limit. When the government stop taxing it to death diesel will become a very viable fuel.

Indeed, the next gen of supercars may well be all Diesel if laws are introduced that outlaw such low mpg and large emmission petrol cars such as the modern supercars. There are already more and more sporty diesels on the market that are very quick.

Guest veg oil man

Yeah I used to hate diesel cars untill i was skint few years back, then i realised you could run on veg oil with bit of work which was loads cheaper at the time. Veg oil was 35p per litre 18 months ago, its now 98p and rising! hence why i started running on used cooking oil.

Santa pod has just had its first ever run what ya brung day for bio fueled cars (no fossil fuel) which got me thinking I need to get a car built for next year and win it :)

I think I should be able to get over 400bhp out the 4.2 TD with around 800 plus Torque ;)

Edited by veg oil man (see edit history)

Guest dangerousandy

I love the sound of this!!!!The Amazon 4.2TD lump is a monster and I think it will suit the Supra! As for a gearbox, have you thought about using the ZF gearbox from a Jaguar XK8/XKR? I have a copy of Jaguar monthly (somewhere!) that had an article on a company who convert XJ8/XK8 and XKR's to manual transmission using the Supra 5-speed gearbox!! so it must be possible to fit a Jag autobox to the Landcruiser lump with a suitable adapter/bellhousing

When the government stop taxing it to death diesel will become a very viable fuel.

That won't happen. Remember how cheap diesel used to be? Now that it's 'popular' the Govt. have a cash cow. Think about it. If you could run a car on water the Govt. would tax the flip out of it.

Still, a diesel Supra. If you (the OP) can get it working and show a massive improvement in MPG then I think you'll have a queue of owners wanting a conversion.

The costs associated with engine converting would never beat the cost of LPG converting though. If cost of running was that big a factor many many more supra people would run on LPG. Most I think don't do enough mileage in their supra's to warrant that expense.

sorry to hijack but I wouldnt mind having a LPG conversion, aslong as I can have the lpg cap hidden some where, It came to mind if possible... If i had a trial rear end, where the diffusers are have it put in one of them and painted to match the lower part of the bumper ie black, then that way it would be hard to see but i wasnt sure if that would work or behind the reg plate, then have the reg on some sort of hindge so you can lift it up or just have the reg on magnets?

All in all if its possible to switch from lpg to petrol so you can have power back for spirited runs then i would be all for it, I was under the impression that with lpg been around 105 to 115 ron that it should run a little better?

also in 6 years its gone from the 30 mark to 60 mark so it hasnt raised that much and its sapped up from the north sea so shouldnt increas in cost's at a quick rate.

only down side its about 2k for a decent conversion :( but least you get £20 off tax lol?

Lew.