The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Traction problems??

johnd-mkiv

Finnally got my clutch run in, done a few quick starts on a private test track ;) the car will not pull straight though it seems to break traction and launch me off all of a sudden sideways, ive been searching on here to find a bit more about LSD's as I was sure this one did not have one and was porbably the cause.

The car started off as an auto tt but its been converted to a manual, I read some where that all autos come with out an lsd? but after finding out the axel codes on here its sayin g mine had one

axel code - A34OE A02B

I have checked the tyres pressure on the rear these are both the same. Im thinking of going for a TRD lsd as I like a bit of drifting from time to time and will most likely be doing a few more track days with it. Would you advise this move or is it worth checking out a few more bits before?

its a bit like this black one but I do mean a bit :D

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Those-darn-doorslammers_159792.htm?Ref=Blog

With your driving style an auto diff in a manual single turbo car wont last 2 min, im not sure how it works with the crown and pin? is that changed when going for a TRD diff? is the crown and pin the same size in a auto and manual diff? maybe some question for CW, either way you need a strong diff in that car;)

Im sure I read that you can fit a crown wheel from a 6 speed into the auto diff but to be honest I like the acceleration from the auto diff so might keep that one and have the trd lsd fitted to that. The car feels dangerous at the moment when on boost in the first 3 gears its not as predictable as my black one to drive it does feel like just one wheel is spinning then gains traction and throws me all over the road.:blink: the tyres on the rear are 285/30/19 so plenty of grip

Im sure I read that you can fit a crown wheel from a 6 speed into the auto diff but to be honest I like the acceleration from the auto diff so might keep that one and have the trd lsd fitted to that. The car feels dangerous at the moment when on boost in the first 3 gears its not as predictable as my black one to drive it does feel like just one wheel is spinning then gains traction and throws me all over the road.:blink: the tyres on the rear are 285/30/19 so plenty of grip

I *think* you have the LSD with the stronger crown wheel, so it should last as well as the 6spd one. Did your old car have 19's too? I noticed a massive degridation in out-corner grip when moving from 17's to 18's.... (both with correct offsets and tyre/wheel sizes)

How about suspension geo - has that been fully setup since you bought it? What tyre's are you using and do they shown signs of being on there a very long time?

I *think* you have the LSD with the stronger crown wheel, so it should last as well as the 6spd one. Did your old car have 19's too? I noticed a massive degridation in out-corner grip when moving from 17's to 18's.... (both with correct offsets and tyre/wheel sizes)

How about suspension geo - has that been fully setup since you bought it? What tyre's are you using and do they shown signs of being on there a very long time?

The new supra has practically the same set up as my old one with tein super streets both set equal (damping force) running 19's these are wider than my last wheels though. The tyres are Michelin dont think they are that old but close to the wear limmit.

Might have a look to see if the coil overs have been set to the same hight though as im sure a member on here a while ago had problems with one being set to a different hight to the other.

im going to have a good look round the back end this weekend have the wheels off and check it all over, if I cant find anything wrong im going to try the TRD route. Is there any way the lsd in it could be faulty? have any gone before? Im gutted as I threw one away from a supra I broke up as it was in the way :(

The new supra has practically the same set up as my old one with tein super streets both set equal (damping force) running 19's these are wider than my last wheels though. The tyres are Michelin dont think they are that old but close to the wear limmit.

Might have a look to see if the coil overs have been set to the same hight though as im sure a member on here a while ago had problems with one being set to a different hight to the other.

im going to have a good look round the back end this weekend have the wheels off and check it all over, if I cant find anything wrong im going to try the TRD route. Is there any way the lsd in it could be faulty? have any gone before? Im gutted as I threw one away from a supra I broke up as it was in the way :(

It might be worth checking to see if there's any backlash in the diff. Jack up the rear and trun one wheel and see if there is any knock or delay before the other wheel turn the oposite direction. Also make sure it doesn't try to spin the prop instead of the other wheel. Backlash can be adjusted.

You may find that whilst the combined rear toe is correct it is offset from the geometric centreline of the car, giving a thrust angle. This shows under heavy acceleration as a vector pushing the car sideways. On a race track it gives very different handling powering out of left and right hand corners. I always do the geo based on the true CL of the chassis.

You may find that whilst the combined rear toe is correct it is offset from the geometric centreline of the car, giving a thrust angle. This shows under heavy acceleration as a vector pushing the car sideways. On a race track it gives very different handling powering out of left and right hand corners. I always do the geo based on the true CL of the chassis.

:blink: 50% understand that :) im going to order the bits mate and ill most likely give you a shout to set it all up, after being out in Mike b's car I was very impressed with your work

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to work out if I have the correct trd lsd and what sort of diff case I have? can some one tell me from the above axel code what it is.

From what I can work out as the car used to be an auto tt I will need 41301-JS402 TRD LSD as it will have a smaller case

The trd diff I have bought was bought for a supra that was origionally a 6 speed but when fitting he was told it was the wrong type, on the box I have 41301-JA800 TRD is there any markings on the diff to work out what it is just wondering if its been boxed up wrong??

thanks

These are to fit the early model TT 6spd, with the larger diff casing

41301-JA800 TRD LSD

Carrier Bearing = 90366-54014

Carrier Bearing Seal = 90311-45013

These are to fit all other models, with the smaller diff casing

41301-JS402 TRD LSD

Carrier Bearing = 90366-50033

Carrier Bearing Seal = 90311-47008

These are to fit the early model TT 6spd, with the larger diff casing

41301-JA800 TRD LSD

Carrier Bearing = 90366-54014

Carrier Bearing Seal = 90311-45013

These are to fit all other models, with the smaller diff casing

41301-JS402 TRD LSD

Carrier Bearing = 90366-50033

Carrier Bearing Seal = 90311-47008

do you know how to tell the two trd diffs apart? would they have a number stamped in them, a different size ect?

cheers mate

Part number is on the box. The 2 crown wheels are of different diameters, the early big type having a bigger diameter crown wheel, and hence a bigger diameter on the carrier that's part of the TRD kit. As I have neither here I can't measure one for you. Paul Whiffin has one in bits at the moment though, he may be willing to run a vernier over the carrier. He has the smaller type.

Part number is on the box. The 2 crown wheels are of different diameters, the early big type having a bigger diameter crown wheel, and hence a bigger diameter on the carrier that's part of the TRD kit. As I have neither here I can't measure one for you. Paul Whiffin has one in bits at the moment though, he may be willing to run a vernier over the carrier. He has the smaller type.

Thanks Chris :thumbs: