The mkiv Supra Owners Club

264/272 staggered setup?

Guest KDW

has anyone actually tried the staggered setup 264/272t?

if so how was the result?

I'm considering this setup as a compromise since I'd like the 272's for top end power, but really don't want my big turbo to spool any later than it already does.

care to elaborate on that Wez..? :)

He was bumping the thread waiting for your reply ;)

T51 is a big ass turbo...so I can see why you're considering the setup.

As soon as you have any overlap you'll start to hurt your pick and midrange...really you need to keep the duration short and maybe have higher lift...

With that in mind have you considered JUN cams? Higher lift than HKS at 264? I dare say a pair of 264's (JUN) wouldn't hurt your top end too much and would maintain the midrange.

Having said all that - your question is has anyone tried that 264/272 combo - I haven't so I'll stay quiet.

I have actually considered the JUN's but mainly just to be a little different, and the fact that they are Cosworth items (I think).

When will it become interference on stock bottom/HG thickness? is it above 9.3 or is it 10.0 ?

If it's 10, I might consider going for the GSC stage 1's which are 268/9.9

If anyone has tried JUN or GSC cams, please speak up.

When will it become interference on stock bottom/HG thickness? is it above 9.3 or is it 10.0 ?

Above 9.3, Jun do both options on the 264's afaik

iirc, the 272's only benefited from highboost, so it depends on your power goals, what boost do you intend to run?

I have an email from a supplier regarding the QC of the Jun cams, i'll see if I can find it, their not made by cosworth I'm sure, their pistons are though:cool:

When reading about the GSC cams: http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?CatalogID=10793&SearchYN=N&subFolderID=559

It says that S1's are ment for turbo's larger than 57mm, and S2 for larger than 71mm.

What sizes are they talking about? (compressor wheel, turbine wheel, inducer/exducer)

Looked up my Turbo and don't know what number they mean.

HKS T51R KAI - 800 PS Output

COMPRESSOR:

-Wheel- 56 Trim - 70.3 Inducer / 94.0 Major

-Housing- 100 Inlet / 80 Outlet

TURBINE:

-Wheel- 76 Trim - 82.0 Major / 71.4 Exducer

-Housing- V-Band inlet / V-Band 115.5 mm outlet - 1.00 A/R

I have actually considered the JUN's but mainly just to be a little different, and the fact that they are Cosworth items (I think).

If it's 10, I might consider going for the GSC stage 1's which are 268/9.9

If anyone has tried JUN or GSC cams, please speak up.

They are not made by Cosworth, only JUN pistons are. Their cranks, rods and cams are made in-house. I have JUN 264 cams to go in my new engine, but haven't assembled it yet.

The 2JZ becomes interference at 10mm. BUT that depends on the pistons having the std shape/cutout.

JUN make 9.3mm and 10.2mm 272's but no others are mega lifts.

I'm aware of the piston shape being a factor, thats why I mentioned stock bottom.

So what you're saying is that 269/9.9 WON'T be interference on a stock bottom w/stock HG. Right?

264/9.3 and 272/9.3 wont be interference

Obviously mate :)

everything up to 9,3 for sure wont be, but it seems that Alex thinks 10.0 is the changing point on a stock JZ, rather than 9.3