The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Pad Question

keancy

Why don't you want your wheel taken off? Surely at a garage that's a 20 second job?

I would like to know if the garage can check my pads without taking a wheel off, because with my Car it isn't just a 20 second job ;)

Trying to get it into their Garage at the slowest possible speed takes 5 minutes :( because it is so low.

In a word.... no. Depends on what wheels you've got.

You could in theory do it without taking the wheel off, buy by jacking it up, getting under the car and looking at it from the inside of the wheel, but then I'm guessing it's the jacking bit that's the problem, which is why you need to get it into a garage to do it?

In a word.... no. Depends on what wheels you've got.

You could in theory do it without taking the wheel off, buy by jacking it up, getting under the car and looking at it from the inside of the wheel, but then I'm guessing it's the jacking bit that's the problem, which is why you need to get it into a garage to do it?

Yeah because try as I might I can not get under and behind without Jacking it (My boobs get in the way,lol)

Also my Jack at home is to big I can't get it under the Body kit. I rang my local Garage though and am popping by on my way home from work to see if he can see the pads without wheel off, if not I got to take it elsewhere tomorrow.

Nice looking Car but sometimes very impractical :)

OK, so I went past Garage on way home and matey took a peak at the outer front brakes. He tells me the outer are at least 75% good and he doesn't see why the insides would have/should have worn in a different fashion but would indeed need to take of the wheels to check. He does suggest the problem could be the shims which are over the brakes to shield them!!

Anyone got any other suggestions what could be causing the noise I hear upon braking?

If I had air brakes I would say it sounds as if air is escaping when I push the pedal. I felt the disks after a long run and they don't feel hotter then my Fiats disk ever did so I don't think they sticking, besides the noise only happens when I brake.

if your is 2 port caliper, possable the the shift on the caliper where it slide in and out need clean out.

I did mine when caliper sticking, and found the shaft rusted a little, clean out put new rubber guide, grease up, slide perfectly.

And if you have large front end, lay flat on floor could serious damage your health.

if your is 2 port caliper, possable the the shift on the caliper where it slide in and out need clean out.

I did mine when caliper sticking, and found the shaft rusted a little, clean out put new rubber guide, grease up, slide perfectly.

And if you have large front end, lay flat on floor could serious damage your health.

:)

Ok, will get it checked out a bit more in depth. Thank you.

OK, so I went past Garage on way home and matey took a peak at the outer front brakes. He tells me the outer are at least 75% good and he doesn't see why the insides would have/should have worn in a different fashion but would indeed need to take of the wheels to check. He does suggest the problem could be the shims which are over the brakes to shield them!!

Anyone got any other suggestions what could be causing the noise I hear upon braking?

If I had air brakes I would say it sounds as if air is escaping when I push the pedal. I felt the disks after a long run and they don't feel hotter then my Fiats disk ever did so I don't think they sticking, besides the noise only happens when I brake.

Is it a squealing like noise when you brake??

Is it a squealing like noise when you brake??

Hmmm, like squealing brakes you mean?? Sometimes that's added but mostly it sounds to me a little metaly, or as I described above almost a sound as if air was escaping, a bit like that. It also seemed worse yesterday morning after the Car had been jet washed Sunday.