The mkiv Supra Owners Club

soldering also want to know how to do LED conversion

bmx1lew

Well today I did my first piece of soldering on the car lol however I’ve done guitar pickups in the past so nothing new, But I was unsure as I’ve never soldered on a circuit board so was worried in case I brake anything.

I soldered the engine, abs and oil light peace, as it has never worked, which works great now, any way I found that it was really easy and thought any one could do this and I think I did a good job, It looks neat so I figured as this was quite easy, could I do the LED conversion myself?

Is the LED conversion hard, With what I have done today in mind would you say I can solder neat enough to do the LED conversion and what else should I take precautions in if doing the conversion.

Is it just a case of a steady hand and that’s it??

Here’s what I did tell me if my work looks good enough to do the led conversion also how do I do it lol?

Lew

Edited by bmx1lew (see edit history)

LED conversion ah... Tons of tears, blood and sweat :D My first LED conversion (full one) made me to take off dashboard like 12 times, when resistors was deciding that my soldering skills are crap and was sticking properly :p Second and third conversion was piece of cake tho, got used to it hehe. If you are brave and VERY patient - go for it

I think I might do it, im willing to risk it for a biscuit has any one got a guide, instructions, and a shop also does any one know what LED's I need.

I want to do a white led conversion so it Matches my Head unitand I want my dash to look like a set of defi guages. so when i get my gauges it all matches up, as if it was standard :eyebrows:

Lew.

looks like allot of hard work, will order the bits tomorrow and start prepairing myself for the challenge, I cant make my mind up now after seeing blue i might do that instead but i would rather have it all match.. could get blue guages instead so the only light that will be white would be the Head unit.

What do you guys think, all white or blue?

LED conversion is EASY! Takes me about 2 hours ;)

You have to be carefull with white LED's, when you put the side lights on, the A/C unit function LED's dim, if you get the wrong value of resistor/Diode the will dim with a green tinge ;). All the values on my website are based on a blue LED as its the most popular. And yes, different colour LED have different voltage/current requirements for them to work properly. If you have any problems, drop me a line.

Cheers for the advice, how many led's do i need to do a full blue conversion aswell as red ones for the red line on the rev limmit?

Could you send me a list of what i need heckler to do this so i can order it all ?

Lew.

Its all listed on my website! here

how come your doing white, can you hurry up with it and get pics so i can see what its like. :p

I want the clean white lighting across the board (including headlights/sidelights etc) - I think white on black looks very cool :)

Heckler is doing me the aircon control unit - and I will be tackling the rest myself when I figure out which bits I need to do. I have already got my new dials and stuff but currently my car is off the road having some problems sorted before Japfest - then I've got to get the new carpet/stereo etc in..!

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Metcal Solder station to do all my soldering - fantastic iron that I cannot fault at all. Almost instant heat too :)

That said, I'm still not brave enough to do the full LED conversion myself. Leaving some of it to the pro's ;)