The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilover Opinions HKS or Tein's

Scott

Ello folks looking for some opinions on coilovers.

Ideally i was looking for new Tein superstreets with uppermounts but there is a set of HKS hypermax II coilovers for sale on the forum which i am interested in.

Basically SWMBO is allowing me to whack £600 on the credit card. Should i save the extra £100 and buy brand new Tein's or save myself a couple of 100 and buy the 2nd hand HKS coilovers?

They have only been used for drag use and to and from drag racing so the miles on them is fairly low although they are a few years old. I haven't seen the condition but the guy reckons they are in good nick and pics are on their way.

The main thing for me is that it doesn't firm up the ride too much, i don't want a bone shaker or anything like that and its just for fun driving on the roads. I basically want some decent adjustable suspension that won't shake my fillings out, do the Hypermax II's fit the bill?

All opinions, comments and suggestions welcome, i don't even have the £600 so i want to spend it wisely lol.

Thanks

I have been told that HKS are one of the worst you can get.. I have read that the apexi are really good, try these badboys, they have had rave reviews in the states. I found a seller who would do them for $790 and ship them as a gift with a low value on the box to avoid tax. shipping is $180 so your looking at £495.

ride adjustment + 32way adjustable damapning when lowering they dont compress the springs like Teins

Read through all this shizzle

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455062

And

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427008

And for specs

http://www.speedforsale.com/supraparts//product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=111

If you want them for 790 search for LSD motorsport on ebay, and send him a message.

Lew.

What about a CW suspension option?

Adjustable suspension is only as good as the person who sets it up..

Double my budget ;)

Cheers Lew, having a look. Whats wrong with the HKS? I've not read anything bad that i could find.

Cheers

I have been told that HKS are one of the worst you can get.. I have read that the apexi are really good, try these badboys, they have had rave reviews in the states. I found a seller who would do them for $790 and ship them as a gift with a low value on the box to avoid tax. shipping is $180 so your looking at £495.

ride adjustment + 32way adjustable damapning when lowering they dont compress the springs like Teins

Read through all this shizzle

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455062

And

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427008

And for specs

http://www.speedforsale.com/supraparts//product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=111

If you want them for 790 search for LSD motorsport on ebay, and send him a message.

Lew.

Just had a look Lew and those are the ones i'm going for. Is it right that the spring rate is higher on the rear though? That sounds very strange.

If you cant afford CW suspension, i would personally go with tein super streets or the tein monoflex suspension...;)

I quite like the tein SS's but they are too expensive at the moment. Are mono's not even more expensive?

Just had a look Lew and those are the ones i'm going for. Is it right that the spring rate is higher on the rear though? That sounds very strange.

I quite like the tein SS's but they are too expensive at the moment. Are mono's not even more expensive?

No i think they are cheaper mate...by £100 or more quid...;)

i discovered them by mistake was just looking for info on Ksport coilovers and ended up reading about these, after reading about them and the reviews of the supraforum i instantly wanted them, aperently there made in the same factory and have the same components as the apexi N1's there has been nothing bad said so they cant be all that bad, if you go on here I did a Best offere of $750 and they agreed for $790 and shipping is $180 speedforsale said they cant match there price and shipping would be $320 so I would go with LSD motorsport.

with feedback of you know there safe.

Seller: lsd_motorsports( 908) powerseller

Im not sure about the spring rates i would double check you can order different ones aswell, they have also just released a drag set up or was it drift? any way when i have the money I'm 100% getting these, If you get them you have to review them to say what you think, every one was saying there really easy to adjust aswell like any one can do it and you dont have to use a C spanner.

allot of people like the teins but after researching allot of people were saying there very cheaply made and firm as when you lower them the springs compress, apparently unless you pay for the top of the line ones there not that better then standard shocks with lowering springs.

Lew.

Edited by bmx1lew (see edit history)

i discovered them by mistake was just looking for info on Ksport coilovers and ended up reading about these, after reading about them and the reviews of the supraforum i instantly wanted them, aperently there made in the same factory and have the same components as the apexi N1's there has been nothing bad said so they cant be all that bad, if you go on here I did a Best offere of $750 and they agreed for $790 and shipping is $180 speedforsale said they cant match there price and shipping would be $320 so I would go with LSD motorsport.

with feedback of you know there safe.

Seller: lsd_motorsports( 908) powerseller

Im not sure about the spring rates i would double check you can order different ones aswell, they have also just released a drag set up or was it drift? any way when i have the money I'm 100% getting these, If you get them you have to review them to say what you think, every one was saying there really easy to adjust aswell like any one can do it and you dont have to use a C spanner.

allot of people like the teins but after researching allot of people were saying there very cheaply made and firm as when you lower them the springs compress, apparently unless you pay for the top of the line ones there not that better then standard shocks with lowering springs.

Lew.

I have emailed him about the spring rates as every ad he has for them is the same, for different cars. Reading on the supra forums i think the front should be 14 and the rear should be 10. He is advertising the front as 10 and the front as 12 iirc.

You have been told wrong.

See thats what i thought. What do you think Nic? New or HKS II's 2nd hand?

Hi Scott

The Hypermax II's do give quite a firm ride, but they are better made, lighter and allow more adjustability compared to the Super Streets. I personally use Hypermax II's on my own car, but they are definitely aimed more towards performance rather than comfort.

The Super Streets will give you a more compliant ride and are popular with members as they are good value for money and seem quite well suited to UK road surfaces. Another very good option would be a set of Bilstein dampers and lowering springs.

If you need prices or more details just let me know.

cheers

Hi Scott

The Hypermax II's do give quite a firm ride, but they are better made, lighter and allow more adjustability compared to the Super Streets. I personally use Hypermax II's on my own car, but they are definitely aimed more towards performance rather than comfort.

The Super Streets will give you a more compliant ride and are popular with members as they are good value for money and seem quite well suited to UK road surfaces. Another very good option would be a set of Bilstein dampers and lowering springs.

If you need prices or more details just let me know.

cheers

Thanks Nic, I got a price off you for the Super Streets as they are definitely my first choice but they are a little out of my price range at the moment.

I think i'm going to give the Megan coilovers a go as they appear to be pretty close to stock for firmness.

Thanks again :)

Choose the HKS Hypermax coilovers, i use those on my car as well and the handling is great. i have them now more than a year on my car and still rust free on the screw threads.

How are the roads over there though. They are not the best over here so ride comfort is quite important to me. Don't get me wrong the place isn't a building site lol.

TBH I will take back what I have said about the HKS as I am not a engineer, Mechanic or some one who deals with suspension so for me to say that they are bad would be wrong, however I will say a local supra owner up here has said his have leaked and without saying a name but dropping a hint one of the suspension experts on here did tell me they are not very good and would not recomend them, Personally I would believe what the suspension expert said but thats only because i dont have enought knowlage on suspension and the qualitys to make a accurate decision and statement, But that is also why I would recomend the Megan Racing one's, 1 because I have read rave reviews and 2 because of what you get for your money Ie 32 way adjustable so perfect for street use.

As Nic said there more for the tracks then for comfort.

Lew.

Edited by bmx1lew (see edit history)

How are the roads over there though. They are not the best over here so ride comfort is quite important to me. Don't get me wrong the place isn't a building site lol.

It depends on the area, but mostly much better than in the UK. Altough when i was in the UK i didn;t get the feeling i was cruising somewhere in africa with deep holes in the road :D

If you set spring rate is nice and not harsh at all and than you can adjust the stifness of the damper.

Like it a lot, doing track days from time to time as well.

got a message from LSD motorsprot. the best we can do is $960.00 shipped on them. Delivery time is 4-6 business days.

Lew.

Yeah i got the same message, cheers buddy.

I also asked about the spring rate and its 14 front 10 rear.

Ordering them tonight hopefully

• 2 weeks later...