The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bang, Bye bye engine

hoff

So we all had a really good day at the surry rolling road day yesterday. My NA did better than the guys there expected and the curve was not to bad either. The fueling seemed pretty good too. So not issues and a good run and one very happy owner. For about 6 hours:(

On the way back to shropshire with the 2 jamies (g-nemie and magictourch) we were running just all fine and nice, nearly home and thats when the engine gave way:(

I heard a loud rattle from the engine and a few seconds BANG and a large cloud of smoke from the engine. I pulled over on the hard shoulder, jumped out, popped the bonet to see a small fire, which was presumably oil.

I dont know what happened but it spat oil out everywhere with no warning. We've not looked at it yet but will do today to see if we can find the route of the problem. But needless to say the engine seems to be seased.:(

Ive been saving towards an NA-TT conversion but Im still not there yet so Im going to have to drop another NA into it for now as its my daily drive and need it back on the road asap. Im gutted though:(

Oh sorry for the long thread by the way, I didnt realise it would be so long:D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear that mate, nice looking car you have there.

Thanks Jamie, it was nice meeting you yesterday:)

Christ Adam!!

Sorry to hear this mate. Is it not worth getting a smal loan and going straight TT. Can't se that putting another NA engine in there is going to be particularly cost effective?

H.

Paul mate, Id love to go NA-TT but not quite got the funds yet and really need a motor for work. Me andhelen are trying to get a place of our own too so cant dip into too much of our savings yet. Plus I might be able to make pancakes if I can get a NA dropped in:D

TT is the way forward but I'll just have wait and see what the crack is first:)

Digsy has bought that NA engine that Chris Wilson has.

Hope you find another spare. I've not heard of many NA's letting go, wonder why it did....it's a bit odd it happened after a Dyno run.

I take it the oil level was ok?

Sorry to hear about that.

How much does an NA engine go for? If it does need replacing, and seeing as you want to go NA-TT, then it might be cheaper just to get a shit-box runaround. Depends on how much the NA blocks are.

Just thinking that would give you more time to do the conversion when you go have the funds as it won't be your daily driver.

Whatever you do, all the best with it.

What time did your NA go on the dyno, I dont even remember it running.

Second one on at around 10.30 I think. We were on nice and early because we had quite a long run home (or nearly home as the case might be:d).

Second one on at around 10.30 I think. We were on nice and early because we had quite a long run home (or nearly home as the case might be:d).

Ahh that would explain it as I didnt get there till after 11am.

Sorry to hear about that.

How much does an NA engine go for? If it does need replacing, and seeing as you want to go NA-TT, then it might be cheaper just to get a shit-box runaround. Depends on how much the NA blocks are.

Just thinking that would give you more time to do the conversion when you go have the funds as it won't be your daily driver.

Whatever you do, all the best with it.

I have thought about doig that. But again i'll have to see what happens over the next day or 2. The price of an NA...not sure really, I dont think Ive ever seen one on here go for more than £500.