The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing the gear knob

Ewen

Wow, what an emotional rollercoaster that was. Im glad I attempted it but never again b'god.

Tools required...

Socket set

Cordless drill

Breaker bar (just in case)

Sharp knife

Apple

Kettle

Time required..

Allow a full day...it could go as wrong for you as it did for me.

The sun was shining, the birds were singing and morale was high as I set off on my momentous technical adventure. I'd prepared well in advance...after considerable thought, I'd decided to approach it through the passenger door. The socket set was spread out all over the drive so that any passers by would assume I was 'well technical'...the cordless drill was ready to hand, so that I could make impressive noises every few minutes.

Time for a cup of tea.

Before...

Removing the old knob was devastatingly difficult...no matter how hard I tried, it just wouldnt come off. Eventually after getting most of the dash out to make room for the breaker bar, my wife suggested that I try turning it anti clockwise instead. As usual, the smart-assed micro-bint was right, and it was off at last.

During....

Time for another cup of tea. This time however, I added the additional complication of the apple. The knife (which Id sharpened the night before as I knew Id run out of time on the day) did its job well, and it was peeled in no time.

The new knob went on relatively easily in comparison. Fine-tuning the alignment took four hours however, as I just couldnt get it looking 'cock-on' as the experts say. I'll leave it as it is for a week or so and bed it in slowly...I'll post again when Ive found its sweet spot.

Final Result...

It is rather nice, genuine Lexus...Nic was doing these a while back, but as I dont do paypal no more it was full UK money. Got a very nice Lexus hardback brochure too 'cos I said please.

Was it in the glovebox of the lexus you nicked the gearknob from?

Looks good, as above.. what is the 'red button'

It's a very nice knob Ewen, but what was wrong with the old leather one? :)

Nothing at all Ken...I had a lift in a Lexus a while back, and I really liked the knob...a bit of stainless bling in an otherwise sea of black.

• 2 years later...