The mkiv Supra Owners Club

heater matrix

andy666

After abit of help please. My heater matrix decided to empty the contence of my cooling system in to the passenger footwell! This happened about a month ago iv managed to get the little blighter out with help from a very good how to guide on here! But the truble I'm having is getting it recored or getting new one at a sensible price every refurb place I try says because its pure alloy the they can't do it or can't garrantie it won't leak a couple of weeks from now! And the only place that dose stock them is toyota but they want £250+ which I think is to much! So if anyone knows of any where that can refurb them to a high standard or knows of any where that's sells them new for a good price could you please pm me the details. Forgot to say I'm in the midland.

Thanks

Andy

BTW mate you know you can re-route the coolant path to skip the heater matrix, as an interim fix, don't you? Who needs heating in this weather anyway? :D Might give you a chance to save up the cash over summer AND still drive the car? (though I find those two activites are usually mutually exclusive)

Got mine done at Serck (I think they were/are called Serck Marston or somesuch).

As SteveR said, it was under £100 and looks a very good job - good as new IMO.

Search for Serck in your area, I think they have branches all over. Failing that, send it to me and I'll take it my local branch for you.

BTW mate you know you can re-route the coolant path to skip the heater matrix, as an interim fix, don't you? Who needs heating in this weather anyway? :D Might give you a chance to save up the cash over summer AND still drive the car? (though I find those two activites are usually mutually exclusive)

I'm still not sure about this you know...

I still have serious concerns that simply joining the pipes leads to head gaskets going pop... I realize this is still under debate, but I'm still sticking to bunging up the two matrix pipes rather than joining them.

I still have serious concerns that simply joining the pipes leads to head gaskets going pop... I realize this is still under debate, but I'm still sticking to bunging up the two matrix pipes rather than joining them.

Mine was ok for 10 months like that last year, no problems here.

I think if you keep an eye on temps / coolant it doesnt cause too much of an issue, as the water rushing past along the easiest path sucks the water out of the head.

Mine has been bypassed for over 7 years and it gets well up to around 38 degrees in the summer here, saying that I do have an aftermarket rad fitted. I think mine are bunged up rather than joined, need to check.