The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone have supra as track car??

Tones

I have started to sprint race mine but currently find it a bit barge like even with HKS coilovers....I am trying to find some standard 16" wheels and wrap them in some Toyo R888's then look at losing weight and adding some strutbraces.

To me the Supra is a great track weapon with loads of potential Just look at Garage Whiffbits in "time Attack"

I brought my car to drive it and the best place for that is a track, roads round here are far too busy to play.

Regards

:yeahthat: bweeks, Wez, SteveL and also Bignum to name a few.

I have just started on the track day only thing.

just havent been on bro, would like some info on what brakes guys are running, goin to japan in a few weeks so will keep an eye out for a 6spd, would be solely for track so will be gettin full strip, carbon doors,trunk and fenders etc, brakes and suspension will all come before any engine mods

Check out the time attack thread in whifbitz section that has some info on the cars various specs.

Wez uses the stock uk brakes but with some custom 2 piece discs from Chris wilson, along with custom race suspension again by Chris.

Stripping it out will certainly help, there is a lot of weight that can be removed easily. If you are getting carbon fibre doors are you also adding a roll cage ?

Also think about some lightweight wheels although not cheap they will certainly help.

just havent been on bro, would like some info on what brakes guys are running, goin to japan in a few weeks so will keep an eye out for a 6spd, would be solely for track so will be gettin full strip, carbon doors,trunk and fenders etc, brakes and suspension will all come before any engine mods

I wouldnt bother with the panels, your only gonna lose weight where it doesnt really make a difference, UK brakes will be fine, but you will need 17's, and you gonna want a j-spec bpu for the engine/small single

Suspension is where you will make most of the time up, spend losts here and the car will fly

Check out the time attack thread in whifbitz section that has some info on the cars various specs.

Wez uses the stock uk brakes but with some custom 2 piece discs from Chris wilson, along with custom race suspension again by Chris.

Stripping it out will certainly help, there is a lot of weight that can be removed easily. If you are getting carbon fibre doors are you also adding a roll cage ?

Also think about some lightweight wheels although not cheap they will certainly help.

Plan is to get a full cage yes, basically as i said weight reduction,suspension and brakes will be the main aim, after that bpu will be perfect with some cooling mods also.

I disagree, i think if you could shed 60 or 70 kg's it is good, granted some of that will be from the rear but the lighter the package the better. The suspension can then be tuned to suit the handling characteristics required.

getting weight off is good but it still needs to have the right weight over both axels otherwise it will oversteer/understeer like a bugger

I use mine on track, full weight j-spec auto.

I replaced the dampers for new oem and new oem bushes, that lot alone made a surprising difference and the car felt so much tighter. I've also got UK calipers and discs all round with Endless pads.

The car itself is very capable and didn't show me up at all, infact I was 'middle of the pack' in pace and the only stuff that get away from me are nutty caterfields and Exiges on cut slicks.

The big downside to a 1550kg coupe is in makeshift coned chicanes where I got my arse kicked by smaller and lighter cars but I soon made up any deficit in the faster corners.

The three things EVERYONE who passengers in my car (none supra owners) comment on are 1) the huge mechanical grip in the fast corners 2) the drive/urge out of slower corners and 3) the brakes, especialy the brakes. These are people who own anthing from 911's to westfields and M-BMW's to TVR's.