The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rust ! My supra has car cancer.

chris2o2

:( Just been washing the supra and having a good old inspection and i've noticed rust in two areas , one slightly more worrying than the other .

Theres one or two patch's on the back left wheel arch (underneath) but also its begining to form around the base of the rear window :Pling:

Am i as well getting a new bootlid from the breakers/one of the helpful chaps on here or paying a bodyshop to remove it ? I'm under the impression that when its around a window its a pita and possibly quite expensive .

Just when you think everythings sorted......

there are also 2 other common places (not to worry you anymore) but have a look in the gap between the roof and the boot (with the boot closed) and also have a look down underneath the big black plastic bit under the windscreen. Every supra I have looked at has had rust in these places.

Edited by Chris and Alana (see edit history)

there are also 2 other common places (not to worry you anymore) but have a look in the gap between the roof and the boot (with the boot closed) and also have a look down underneath the big black plastic bit under the windscreen. Every supra I have looked at has had rust in these places.

Cheers , i might not even look though , just more depressing but i'll pass the info onto my bodyshop with the order of eradicate all the rust :(

mine has a bit of rust in the same places i got a quote for the rear window 200 pounds the body shop said window will have to come out, i managed to get a whole tailgate in the same colour from ebay for 120pounds delivered.

I have recently discovered that at some point in the supra's life, it went over some sort of bump really hard because i have a dent (not huge) in my exhaust and on the o/s/r, i have a tiny split where the tyre must have hit the arch and has rusted slightly inside but where water has got into it, the water has run down the wheel arch causing it to look alot worse than it really is!

I hear the whether is nice tomorrow, so im going to sort it...before it gets worse!

I also discovered on the n/s/r, a strip of tyre deposited on the wheel arch! Must have been one hell of a bump! :blink: :(

It's very rare for a Jspec supra to suffer from rust problems. The UK's are terrible for it, probably due to the time they've spent on our roads with all the salt, etc. Some of the UK's I've seen in Jezz's are absolutely riddled with long term rust, one of them was in an appauling state (Carl0s' old car, it was rotted out) :(

The only "common" spot is the on the hatch just underneath the rear washer jet. It is very rare for the rear wheel arches to rust on the jspecs... unless they've been in the country for years.

It's very rare for a Jspec supra to suffer from rust problems. The UK's are terrible for it, probably due to the time they've spent on our roads with all the salt, etc. Some of the UK's I've seen in Jezz's are absolutely riddled with long term rust, one of them was in an appauling state (Carl0s' old car, it was rotted out) :(

The only "common" spot is the on the hatch just underneath the rear washer jet. It is very rare for the rear wheel arches to rust on the jspecs... unless they've been in the country for years.

Yeh i know, thats when i was shocked to discover that under my arch! Oh just found another tiny rust spot, caused by a bloody stonechip though...:rolleyes: :(