The mkiv Supra Owners Club

XS power parts - another warning

Homer

I'd been silly enough to use an XS power T4 gasket and oil drain gasket on my T67 conversion. The results are pictured here after about 5k miles of usage (very little of it being on-boost).

The T4 gasket had completely disintegrated on one corner, the sandwich layer had burnt away and much of the steel plate blown out into the engine bay.

The oil gasket had gone brittle and cracked resulted in a small leak.

Replaced this weekend with qaulity parts and the car is running perfect again. Just another warning to stay away from cheap/copy parts folks.

The turbo is thankfully undamaged, in fact the exducer and compressor blades look like new :)

DSCN9044.jpg

DSCN9046.jpg

All them gaskets are crap no matter who makes them, i had loads of trouble with mine, after speaking with Leon at JPS he told me he never uses them for his very reason and just has both faces machined for a perfect fit and not to use a gasket, i did this and no more removing turbo:)

All them gaskets are crap no matter who makes them, i had loads of trouble with mine, after speaking with Leon at JPS he told me he never uses them for his very reason and just has both faces machined for a perfect fit and not to use a gasket, i did this and no more removing turbo:)

Thats pretty much what I've been told since Darren brought this up. Either a sheet SS gasket or use none at all. Either way, it's in the XS "kit", so if they're not suitable they shouldn't supply them. Same as the fuel hoses, vacuum lines, FPR's, adaptors, turbos, oil feed, oil drain... pretty much everything they supply :taped:

Embossed stainless steel shim gaskets for turbo to manifold and WG to manifold is the only way, but if flanges distort any gasket will fail.

Good point, is the flange on the XS Shower manifolds thinner section than other 'quality' manifolds?

I have seen several new xs manifolds flanges to be warped. even when new so unless machined flat they will never seal 100% or gaskets last very long.

i would expect any flange to have a degree of warp after welding, i guess the quality brands would machine it true as the final task, you get what you pay for

Yes i would say check you mating surfaces for trueness, even top notch gaskets will not last long.

When i fiited the xs manifold the T4 flange was warped had to have it machined, also you will find that the flange from tubes to head is not also true but slightly warped which also requires some machine work. and once all the weld slag is cleaned up from the inside its not that bad of a manifold:innocent: