The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1998 facelift air recirc problem

Branners

Hi folks,

its like being a newb all over again with my new car.

When I first get in the car it always sets itself to recirc on the airflow, never to fresh air from outside.

I either have to turn the temp guage up to 25 to make it change or press the fresh air button.

Is there a way to stop it doing that? I dont ever use air recirc so dont need that as the default option.

thanks

Mine always did this JB. I think you have to turn the auto control off for it to revert to your last setting. Once the car is turned off with the auto off, IIRC it will stay that way when you start it again. It's been a while, so might have that a wrong!

Mine always did this JB. I think you have to turn the auto control off for it to revert to your last setting. Once the car is turned off with the auto off, IIRC it will stay that way when you start it again. It's been a while, so might have that a wrong!

Corr. I learn something new every day!

Mine does this (facelift too).

I turn recirc off because it seems to steam up the windscreen.

I have found that turning on the A/C seems to re-enable recirc if the temp is set low/cold. I guess it decides it can do a better job of getting cold air if it's recirculating.

It's not the Auto button that's doing it.

So you turn on A/C, then you turn the A/C off, and five minutes later you notice the windscreen is all misty and the recirc is on.

Edited by carl0s (see edit history)

When you press A/C, auto button goes on automatically. Had the same problem with my facelift, to swithc Auto properly (so it's not coming back again) I was just setting air to go on windscreen and legs - seems to work and do not change recirc again.

When you press A/C, auto button goes on automatically. Had the same problem with my facelift, to swithc Auto properly (so it's not coming back again) I was just setting air to go on windscreen and legs - seems to work and do not change recirc again.

That could be it. I don't know if I've noticed if the A/C has been turning on the Auto duct thingy.

It's annoying anyway!

Thats a function of the climate control Carl0s (you have AC on, so it reverts to recirc to help lower the cabin temp), but I'm not sure if thats JB's original question - i.e why does it default to recirc on startup.

Thats a function of the climate control Carl0s (you have AC on, so it reverts to recirc to help lower the cabin temp), but I'm not sure if thats JB's original question - i.e why does it default to recirc on startup.

I think it could be because he's leaving the Temp dial all the way down & A/C left on.

I'm pretty certain it only happens with A/C on, so it's a case of either not leaving the A/C on all the time, or if you want A/C on all the time then leave the temp turned up a touch. I'd have thought you'd still get icy cold air.

I think the Temp point at which it switches varies depending on either outside or cabin temperature. It was a hot day yesterday. I tried it the day before after starting the car and it wasn't doing it like this.

Edited by carl0s (see edit history)

Yeh mine is exactly the same carl0s, even with the ac turned off. My n/a used to do the same...i think its just a Supra thing...;) :)

I could've sworn it only did it when the A/C was on! I'll have to remember to flick the A/C switch next time too :)

'cos that's how AC works best.

AC also doesn't work anyway near properly if you don't have the windows closed.

As I understood it JB said it reverts to recirc without AC on (perhaps that needs to be confirmed). With AC on it makes sense that the climate control uses the recirc option if outside temp is higher than interior temp. I think Johns question was whether the car should always start up on recirc without the AC switched on.

Edit - old avatar>current one

I think Johns question was whether the car should always start up on recirc without the AC switched on.

Mine doesn't.

I got in the car this morning, aircon off, blowers not on auto and it was set to get air from the outside.

It does remember the last setting I had it on.

Isn't this how it works:

You set the temperature dial colder than the car is now:

IF outside temp > inside air temp THEN car decides to recirculate

IF outside temp

You set the temperature dial warmer than the car is now:

IF outside temp > inside air temp THEN car decides to let fresh air in

IF outside temp

Plus if you switch the Air Con on, it'll automatically set itself to recirculate for efficiency.