The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New mmeber, Considering a Supra

meph137

Hi all, currently I have a celica GT and possibly looking to get a Supra, the insurance seems ok (suprisingly, £768 for 12 months from admiral on a 95 twin turbo non-import) but I'm wondering a few things, having had a look at the classifieds section and Autotrader, UK specs seem slightly harder to get hold of and are more costly, is this always the case or maybe just a lull in the UK spec market?

Also - anyone in here previously owned a Celica and now a Supra? I'd like to hear of comparisons, obviously much faster would be one I'm guessing, but would be ncie to hear nontheless.

Gonna ring up sky tomorrow to get an import quote, as that would widen my market - are there any massive differences between a UK spec twin turbo and an import one? I'd read that the UK spec's were more powerful...

Also - anyone got what I'm describing for sale? :) Have looked in classifieds but can't find what I want, I like the car to be relatively standard, certainly without body kits, and in good condition. I wouldn;t want to pay much more than £6,000 though so I think that maybe limit me a lot...

Anyway - hello all!

£6000 is a limited budget for a TT manual and the reason UK spec is usually more exspensive is that they are rarer. I think there are a few members here who have owned a GT celica that could give you a good comparison. I'm sure one will be along soon. Oh and welcome.

Manual UK TT's are very rare indeed. Autos more common but the UK spec in general is getting more and more rare by the week almost.

Due to the fact a lot of them sold go to Europe it seems :p. Added to that is that the UK spec has a few extra nice bits that make it more desireable (transmition cooler, LSD, larger injectors, steel turbos, heated seats and a few other extras)

I picked up my UK auto for £7500 its in excelent condition and i think it could have gone for a grand more than that without 2 much trouble imo.

Good luck in the search!

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

For £6k your looking at an Import Auto. UK spec insurance is usually cheaper than imports. UK specs have different turbos. Apparently they don't spool as quickly, but give a bit more top end for the European Autobahn cruising. Both give the same power (280 is a myth due to the 'gentleman's agreement' they had in Japan)

The auto is very good and responsive, not like the usual auto rubbish I'd driven before I bought mine. I absolutely love it. Easy to drive in traffic and gives super fast gear changes every time up to the red line. Also has a manual mode selector for more spirited driving, although TBH, I usually just knock it between 2nd and 3rd on a fast run.

Welcome to the club dude. Won't go on about UK/J-spec differences as that seems to have been well covered already. Most questions will have an answer somewhere on the site, good luck! Happy Supra hunting too :)

went from a gen4 Gti-16 to a BPU TT, now that was a fun transition:d

welcome to the club:)

Corsa --> TT Supra here. Wouldn't recommend it myself as I had to drive it like a geriatric granny having a slow day for the first few months to get used to it!

Ok, so seems likes its a import jobbie then I guess, and an auto at that! Whats the auto like? Never driven one before, can't picture how it works, I've seen the numbers 1 and 2 on auto sticks before, is that the manual mode?

I guess one question would be, has anyone here owned an N/A and a TT? I'd be interested to know what the difference in the feeling of speed and acceleration was between the 2, I can see 0-60 times etc but sometimes cars have a feeling of being slow when they actualy going pretty quick, so do you reckon the TT packs a lot more punch than the N/A?

Ok, so seems likes its a import jobbie then I guess, and an auto at that! Whats the auto like? Never driven one before, can't picture how it works, I've seen the numbers 1 and 2 on auto sticks before, is that the manual mode?

I guess one question would be, has anyone here owned an N/A and a TT? I'd be interested to know what the difference in the feeling of speed and acceleration was between the 2, I can see 0-60 times etc but sometimes cars have a feeling of being slow when they actualy going pretty quick, so do you reckon the TT packs a lot more punch than the N/A?

Lol. Can 'o worms opening now. Welcome by the way. :)

I had a Celica and went to a UK spec auto Supra. There is no comparison. May as well be a Smart car to a Supe. You're talking about 180 bhp FWD to 326 bhp all on the rear with an LSD. Totally different driving styles especially when the road gets slippy. Just don't let off the pedal when it goes sideways. LOL!

so do you reckon the TT packs a lot more punch than the N/A?

Only drove an NA on a test drive and it felt reasonably fast, but not as fast as a TT so I went with the TT. I know mine is at least as quick as an Evo IX 360 from 60 to xxx so I'd say it probably does pack more punch when moving, but I'm often impressed with how quick the NA is off the mark

so do you reckon the TT packs a lot more punch than the N/A?

I'd imagine its a similar leap in performance as between a NA celica and a GT4..............a NA supra will be somewhere between the NA and GT4 celicas, and a stock TT a bit above a stock GT4?

ive had a facelift NA 5 speed (200bhp) and a UK BPU auto (400bhp)

The manual na was very fun. by no means slow just lacked top end grunt on the motorway (120 upwards) was good fun arround town though.

The bpu auto is great. so relaxed and chilled out. the drive to work is easy and picks up very well when you put your foot down. the auto box is very responsive and is great. there is the manual mode but i hardly ever use it. I like being lazy. I thaught i would miss changing gear but i dont at all.

drove stick for 18+ years and never understood fast cars with autos,

the supra is just great on the auto, stick it in D and cruise about with no effort, need some speed just floor it, takes it to the red line before it changes, want a bit more engine braking and second turbo coming out of the corners stick it im manuel mode and shift between 2nd and 3rd,

i would certianly take one out for a test you will not be disapointed,

all the uk extras are over rated anyway ;)

Well cheers guys for the advice, I spoke to Sky insurance today and was very surprised to hear my insurance would only be about £690 on a JSpec TT Auto, so now the hunt is on! I also checked for a Celica GT4 quote, as from here its either a GT4 or the Supra TT, and I definitely know which I'd prefer :) (altho a friend of mine has said he reckons he would go for a GT4 above the Supra, not sure if anyone here has any opinion on that?)

So yeh, I definitely can;t spend more than £6k, what I'm after is either a stock (or as close as I can get to stock), or very subtley (and tastefully) modded TT, be it auto or manual, JSpec or UK I'm not really bothered, going on your comments I'm not resisting the auto box anymore though, seems as though everyone loves it.

So time to trawl the classifieds, but if anyone either has a Supra for sale that matches what I want, or anyone wants a Silver Celica 97 (UK spec, which is not very common at all) in very good condition (totally stock) then let me know! Its had very careful owners and I don't think will let you down :)

while on the subject of uk tt's being scarce jap models later than 98 seem to also be scarce although according to web research they were produced in japan until 2002 anyone any theory's on this :search:

they cannot be imported to this country untill they are ten years old as there is no model report:(

Ive had both and were both manual's mate and im only 21! The n/a is a very good car and reliable at that.

I wouldnt modify the engine on the n/a too much though as you will not really get anything out of it...just loss of cash.

The acceleration feels very good and is a solid car.

Now the TT, its a completely a differnt animal and its highly tuneable!

The TT is like an n/a but in fast forward...thats the only clear way i can describe the TT to an n/a!

Be careful though, both types of supra's are animals and will take you by suprise if you dont know how or what to expect of them...:) ;)

Welcome to the club btw! :D

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)