The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Work' alloys

Guest jezh

Hi

My white SZ has 4 white 17" "Work" wheels with those strange large single race-style bolts that seem to cover the normal wheelnuts.

Obviously this is quite annoying: if I get a flat I wont have the tool to remove the great big nuts to access the real wheel nuts.

Anyone have any experience with these wheels (are they any good?) Also does anyone know of how to get these enormous nuts off!

Jez

Originally posted by jezh

Hi

My white SZ has 4 white 17" "Work" wheels with those strange large single race-style bolts that seem to cover the normal wheelnuts.

Obviously this is quite annoying: if I get a flat I wont have the tool to remove the great big nuts to access the real wheel nuts.

Anyone have any experience with these wheels (are they any good?) Also does anyone know of how to get these enormous nuts off!

Jez

Enormous spanner?

Does the big bolt in the middle look slightly like this: -

http://www.bouncingbullet.com/supra/images/bn_DSCN1935.JPG

I had a flat the other day - the tyre place got it off with a sod-off great pair of mole grips. But when I fitted new locking wheel nuts, I had to employ the 'whack a lump of wood with a rubber hammer' technique to get them to turn. Apparently they would have come with some kind of giant strengthened plastic 'nut' originally, but I guess most of these never made it over on the boat with import cars?

Cheers, J :cool:

Yes thats similar to the locknut type thang! I might have to fashion some kind of wrench out of metal that should undo them. They are supposed to unwind my hand apparantly but I cant get them to shift for love nor money...

The company who make them are called "Work" and they seem to be quite common in Japland and states - never seem to have made it over here. They do appear quite expensive race spec alloys (on assumption) I think the model name are "FR Design" as on each there is a small sticker.

I will post some pics...

The mystery continues...

• 1 year later...

Mine don't have a lovely finish anymore, so I might try an oil filter spanner thing with the three legs.

Mine are Work Rezax and the centres are solid. Only got three and they need refurbing. If anyone's got a spare 17X9 ET47 for sale, give me a shout. Alternatively if anyone wants to buy 2 17X8's with 245/45s and one 17X9 with 255, PM me.

i've got work reflex with the centre caps as shown above, i've also got the big plastic tool to get them off which must have come off the boat from japan with the car - unfortunately i cannot move the centre cap at all - it must be seized on or something??

aha - long time ago but cracked the problem:

I bought these rubber band type tools that you take oil filters off with: these wrap round the large nut/bolt things and work really well.

I did purchase 2 different spanners (BBS and a BMW) with the hope that they would fit but alas too big. My WORK wheels ones must be lost somehwere in Japan...

Nevermind.

Thanks anyway people.

• 3 months later...
Guest D4KNS
aha - long time ago but cracked the problem:

I bought these rubber band type tools that you take oil filters off with: these wrap round the large nut/bolt things and work really well.

I did purchase 2 different spanners (BBS and a BMW) with the hope that they would fit but alas too big. My WORK wheels ones must be lost somehwere in Japan...

Nevermind.

Thanks anyway people.

Were they a standard right hand thread? :limp: