The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not Worth Selling!

Tricky-Ricky

I was starting to consider selling my Supra later in the summer. so i have been looking around at prices, and come to the conclusion that i might be better off putting it into storage, some of the prices that some pretty good Supras are going for is just silly, i know all the " you never get back the money you have put into bit" but when i think of all the work i have put into mine:( I'm damed if i am going to let it go for what i would consider peanuts, i don't think i would go as far as asking what its worth! as said a thousand times, "only what the buyer is prepared to pay"

Just wondered if anyone who has put thousands of hours of blood sweat and tears, into their Supra felt the same?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see the writing on the wall quite a while back and sold my Orange car at the right time. TBH, if you put it in storage the only thing it is going to do is depreciate in value even more.

I feel your pain...I havent spent much on her, nor put thousands of hours on her either, Ive just looked after her, treated her as one of the family and kept the mileage low. But even so Ive dropped £13k in four years or so according to the current pricing. Ive personally come to the conclusion shes worth more un-modified, but at these prices, Ive given up worrying about it. I bought a watch a while back...I could have bought a decent TT auto for the same price.

Inevitable, but sad too.

I convinced myself for a loooong time that mine wasn't worth selling, considering the time and effort I'd put into it (which was practically nothing compared to most of you guys!).

But eventually I came to the conclusion that when you add up the fuel, insurance and running costs, hanging onto it does nothing but cost you even more money. :( Eventually I let it go for an absolute joke, but a couple of months on I've saved so much money in my diesel it doesn't bother me any more.

Mine will be staying for a while yet. Cant afford anything that i want more than the supra. Im sure there will come a stage when i just keep her in the garage as the value to someone else will be lower than the value of keeping hold of it.

(if that makes sense)

Cant afford anything that i want more than the supra

Same here...it would cost me a lot to get something I think Id rather own. But at the moment at least, I get so much fun out of the Supra and shes reliable. Still makes me smile when I drive her.

Just a winge I'm afraid, when i stand back and look at the Supra that i have made truly mine and realise all the effort thats gone into its creation, and then somebody will come along an offer me an amount that i know I'm going to see as a insult:(

So shall i try and get a feature in a magazine, in order to give it some exposure and kudos, in case i do decide that it has to go or just bung it in a garage at the end of the year?

Just a winge I'm afraid, when i stand back and look at the Supra that i have made truly mine and realise all the effort thats gone into its creation, and then somebody will come along an offer me an amount that i know I'm going to see as a insult:(

So shall i try and get a feature in a magazine, in order to give it some exposure and kudos, in case i do decide that it has to go or just bung it in a garage at the end of the year?

Just enjoy it. I'm not worrying about the values dropping, and as long as I can afford to put petrol in it, I will keep on enjoying it :)

Ive no supra experiance as im still looking for my first, but other cars i've owned drop at a rate of about 1k per year and if your spending lots of cash upgrading then sure you will lose more,but i'm not buying a sup to worry about depreciation.If that was my worry i'd buy a golf or a bm or audi but they dont look as good as a sup imho :cool:

I have been hearing that for the last few years!

I would have to agree with CJ on this one. I don't think we have yet seen the final price reductions of the Supra as so many struggle with the cost of fuel and insurance.

I would love to know just how many people on this forum bought a cheap Supra and then realised a few months later that it wasn't such a cheap-buy after all (running costs considered etc).

If petrol rises to 150p/liter then can you imagine just how many people will be able to afford to run their Supes? More importantly, can you imagine just what the value of a Supra will be in 12-months at this rate?

Those of us on the forum that sell their Supras for apparently low asking prices are wise IMO as they are getting some form of decent financial return before the market really does go to rat-shit.

Everybody is in the same boat. Almost every car with a few exceptions are losing money.

Also when it comes to niche cars, modding them narrows the pool of buyers further still- less potential buyers equals lower prices.

Still, it could be worse, you could have a 3 year old Jag S type R losing £1500 a month which currently sits on my mates forecourt.