The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant leak

SteveR

EDIT - now soved - thanks Bignum!!

I pushed the Supra out of the garage earlier this evening, to clay bar it. I noticed a puddle of coolant where it has stood - and that the coolant level was low. So I topped the expansion bottle up a little, and 15~20 mins later noticed it was dripping from the undertray leaving another little puddle. :thumbdown:

Finished clay-baring the Supe, pushed it back into the garage.

I shall investigate the cause another day. Fingers crossed a pipe has just come loose or split or something. Thinking back, the coolant needed topping up at a meet a month or so ago, so I suspect there was a small leak back then, which has got substantially worse.

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

Bignum (Simon) and his lovely wife and kids came over to see us this afternoon. Si and I got my Supra out to take a look. I poured water in various places and Simon did everything else as I'm a mechanical numpty/scaredy and I VERY much appreciate his expertese & help. :thumbs:

Si took the undertray off and there seemed to be coolant seeping from the radiator, so 10 mins later that was off the car :D We filled it with water and very gradually a small drip started at the bottom of the rad; mystery solved, I just need to get a new one now - where's the cheapest place to get a new rad??

Si took the undertray off and there seemed to be coolant seeping from the radiator, so 10 mins later that was off the car :D We filled it with water and very gradually a small drip started at the bottom of the rad; mystery solved, I just need to get a new one now - where's the cheapest place to get a new rad??

Parts wanted section and wait for the offers to come in. I managed to get a nice condition 6spd rad for £40.

Parts wanted section and wait for the offers to come in. I managed to get a nice condition 6spd rad for £40.

Oooooh that was lucky - I didn't realise there was a difference in the rad Toyota fitted? Are they ALL different: Auto/Manual - 5/6 Gear - turbo/NA?

Manual and auto are different mate, also dont throw your old 1 away yet, you will need the temp sender out of it!!, thanks for the kind words aswell, dinner was lurvly,:)

More than welcome mate - Kate did that so it's my turn next time! :D

I'll go hunting for the temp sender tomorrow! lol