PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear



cg084
08-12-03, 14:16
Guys n Gals,

I watch a lot of Top Gear on channel 2 on a sunday night. Keep looking at that Super car performance board. I keep wondering how dar up the board a Toyota Supra TT could go. Would like to see a couple of time on there. 1 for the total original non modified TT supra and then another for a 600BHP or so Supra.

How do you think that these would fair up.

Gaz Walker
08-12-03, 14:25
I think PW's car would do pretty well, it has plenty go go and plenty track goodies (chassis, brakes, suspension, wheels)

Gaz.

Wez
08-12-03, 14:28
PW`s car driven by the stig could be very interesting indeedy.

:thumbs:

albundy68
08-12-03, 15:55
wonder where the supe would go on thge cool wall???

they were dissing the mkvi celica the other week, did anyone catch that??? (not on the cool wall, on one of the reviews, think it was that new mazda)

Kent Phil
08-12-03, 18:33
You do not want the Stig driving your car...lok what happened to that poor guy's Jag....

cg084
08-12-03, 19:31
Yeah but that was just Stig they now have Stig the White had a similar battle after the jag as gandalf from Lord of the Ringers.

Aerotop Dave
08-12-03, 20:21
But is the white stig actually a different person? I know Perry McCarthy has now 'officially' come out as the black stig (with Julian Bailey filling in on days off), but I wonder if they invented the white stig just because the identity of the black stig became so well known.

The thing I was interested in was that they supplemented the cool board with a new one called something like the 'retro cool board' where the other week they put up the Countach and stuff. Personally I'd bung the Lancia Stratos up there (probably my fav car), but I was kinda waiting for the Supra to appear on it. Alas, the retro cool board hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks so maybe they've just quietly dropped the idea.
:conf:

Marco
08-12-03, 20:23
When they took Robs Supra on their track, it outperformed a 911 turbo (IIRC) easily. He has a vvti, full decat and some other goodies running more than 400bhp at the flywheel.

It hasn't been on tv, it all happened behind the scenes, too bad :(

The drivers who took it for a spin were more than impressed.

Paul Laing
09-12-03, 10:09
Why doesn't someone email Top Gear and ask them if they would be interested in a Toyota Supra going round there track???

michael
09-12-03, 10:19
A friend of mine is a researcher for Top Gear (name in the credits and everything) - they get requests to do stuff like this all the time but unfortunately never get a chance to make much of them.

It would be great to have a feature like the one they did on the last series though where people could write in with details of their fast car and they tried it out on track - might be something that can come back for the next series if enough people pester them?

Patrick_Devlin
09-12-03, 10:35
Originally posted by 200SX Boy
But is the white stig actually a different person? I know Perry McCarthy has now 'officially' come out as the black stig (with Julian Bailey filling in on days off), but I wonder if they invented the white stig just because the identity of the black stig became so well known.


I was reading the latest edition of Top Gear mag the other week. The letters page was funny, filled with serious and tongue in cheek letters about The Stig. I was cracking up at the letters that were slagging off the BBC at being calous and insensitive at the death of one of their stuntmen! WTF!!! Are these people from a different planet?!?!

:D

trooper
09-12-03, 13:09
These TV progs like TG and 5thG concentrate too much on pie-in-the-sky stuff like Lambos and other schoolboy wet dreams. Only very rarely do they feature a second hand car and lets face it, most cars sold are second hand.

The AMV8 Vantage came close but still too exotic.

The little Pug that cost nearly the same as my Supra. What a waste of money (the pug)

I would love a supra to be featured on a look back in anger type thingy. It can still compete with many more modern machines but I just know that our Jezza would say something crass about it just to be "entertaining". He has an image to maintain.

Bobbeh
09-12-03, 13:28
I agree with EVERYTHING you just said.

pulse
09-12-03, 15:04
There's a flipside to that coin.

Who's going to watch a program based entirely around track testing the new Renault Clio, Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra?

It's only when they take something like a Koenigsegg or Vanquish etc etc out and belt it around a track that it becomes properly interesting. Car shows need nice cars, and let's face it you may as well show people something they'll probably never drive themselves.

Just my opinion :)

-p

trooper
10-12-03, 08:09
That's right, a show like that would be pretty dull but what I think all motoring shows lack is ballance and varied content.

We need to know about the new Focus cos millions of people will buy one.

It would also be nice to have articles like Classic slot where they test the XK120 for example.

What to look for when buying (god forbid) a five year old BMW320.

Ans of course a whole show dedicated to the Supra

Rob
10-12-03, 10:27
Originally posted by pulse
There's a flipside to that coin.

Who's going to watch a program based entirely around track testing the new Renault Clio, Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra?


-p


I think that would C4's "Driven" then.

albundy68
10-12-03, 10:53
wasnt the whole top gear/fifth gear brake up coz clarkson wanted to go more racey and quinton wanted more of a 'what car' serious type prog,

top gears quality entertainment, if you want to hear about the new focus, buy 'what car' or summit, coz faced with the choice of watching a lambo or a focus zooming round a track on a sunday night i know what i, (and prob 99% of top gear fans) would go for!!!

- and the supes definately 'SUB ZERO!!!' :thumbs:

Aerotop Dave
12-12-03, 21:34
Originally posted by albundy68
wasnt the whole top gear/fifth gear brake up coz clarkson wanted to go more racey and quinton wanted more of a 'what car' serious type prog

I think it was more that the BBC announced that Top Gear was being taken off the air, so Channel 5 jumped in quick and offered all the presenters a job on Fifth Gear. I think the BBC then had a change of heart and decided to totally revamp the show... but by then the presenters were gone. Thus we ended up with JC back along with some new people. The new 1hr format works a treat too.


The thing that I get fed up of is watching them go sideways around tracks and saying 'Don't buy this car the handling is terrible'. Well, who on earth is actually going to drive like that on the road? I think the test conditions for the cars is ridiculous.

Wez
14-12-03, 10:48
Originally posted by 200SX Boy
The thing that I get fed up of is watching them go sideways around tracks and saying 'Don't buy this car the handling is terrible'. Well, who on earth is actually going to drive like that on the road?


I think most of the viewers would if they could :D

:thumbs:

cg084
15-12-03, 12:16
Hi,

I like to see them going sideways but more from inside the car as to look at there motions of controling sideways. With the supra being my first rear drive motor and having recently lost the back end trying to avoid the git pulling out infront of me. I believe i need to understand the skidding and controlling more. Deeply concidering an advanced driving course.

But i will also wait til there is some snow on the ground. Large carpark at night. No kerbs and light with streetlights. Somewhere quiet too. So as not to disturb anyone. Had fund doing that in my first car a mk1 golf 1100cc.

Would like to do the same with my na supe. Just want to know my limits and the cars.

Andyp
15-12-03, 12:38
sod the advanced driving course go on one of those track days where the instructor sits with ya in your car and teaches ya

as for top gear, don't think they'd be interested in a Supra going round their track. Clarky-Dodgy jeans didn't have a fantastically high opinion of the Soop when he reviewed it.. he'd rather blah on about some 3 squillion quid Merc / BM. True to say you could stick a Skyline, 300zx, Cobra etc etc on the track to woop ass but they ain't gonna coz they just ain't interested...which is good coz it doesn't encourage everyone to go out and buy them :)

I haven't ever seen my car mentioned on that program, most I've heard from the is when they were talking about the Rx8.. they said "It's good, just was a bit daft" hehe.. then again he's wasted 100 odd grand on his Merc.. that's daft :D

Adam W
15-12-03, 12:38
I was bloody glad I didn't own the 300ZX that they used in last nights show! Anyone else wincing as the boffins were let lose in it?

Andyp
15-12-03, 12:44
suprised they didn't blow it up! They usually total most cars hehe

Was anyone else thinking "WASTE OF MONEY" when watching the MG? :)

Scooter
15-12-03, 13:11
Originally posted by cg084
Hi,


But i will also wait til there is some snow on the ground. Large carpark at night. No kerbs and light with streetlights. Somewhere quiet too. So as not to disturb anyone. Had fund doing that in my first car a mk1 golf 1100cc.



Snow in a supra is a nightmare, any sort of incline and it just won't play ball.
You need to get yourself in that car park in the wet, or on a large wide roundabout late one night. Enter the roundabout at normal driving speed but in say 2nd at 3-4000 rpm (ok/necessary for an NA) and give it some stick to get the back to drift out. Just come off the power very early at first until you get used to the back losing traction and the level of counter steering to compensate.

Keep the entry speeds low and this is very safe on a DESERTED area of tarmac and IMO will help you react naturally when it happens unexpectedly.

JamesG
15-12-03, 13:52
I saw those two 300ZXs at the Max Power show a few months ago. They were parked close together and Russ Swift did a handbrake turn in his mini to park inbetween them.

Only problem was that he misjudged it and hit one of them :p Only a tiny bit of bumper damage, I think, but very entertaining :)

James.

@lpher
15-12-03, 21:24
Originally posted by Scooter
Snow in a supra is a nightmare, any sort of incline and it just won't play ball.
You need to get yourself in that car park in the wet, or on a large wide roundabout late one night. Enter the roundabout at normal driving speed but in say 2nd at 3-4000 rpm (ok/necessary for an NA) and give it some stick to get the back to drift out. Just come off the power very early at first until you get used to the back losing traction and the level of counter steering to compensate.

Keep the entry speeds low and this is very safe on a DESERTED area of tarmac and IMO will help you react naturally when it happens unexpectedly.

Slightly off topic now but....i can honestly say ive got absolutely no idea what youre talking about :D

Ive had several rearwheeldrive cars before....all boring family cars mind you...but rearwheeldrive none the less ;-)

I use my stock Supra TT (auto) as a daily driver...and i must say its brilliant WITH real good wintertires...not those 'made-for-german-autobahns-with-max-340kmh"-tires....but REAL wintertires... ;-)

In the wintertime...when on small roads, and at junctions etc...i usually turn the TRAC off...its easier to control it that way...and you get to learn to know the car easier this way ;-)

This is my second winter in the supra...and this time around...knowing the car a little bit better...its SOOO much more fun! ;-)

@lpher

Scooter
15-12-03, 22:19
@lpher, we don't know what a real winter is, over here snow is not the regular occurance that i assume it is in Norway. The whole country grinds to a halt if we get a few inches of settled snow.

last year was the first time in a while that we had some serious snow and at its worst i got less than 100yards up the road before hitting about a 1 in 20 gradient and was left wheelspinning away until I was kindly turned around by a couple of school kids:D

@lpher
15-12-03, 23:26
Originally posted by Scooter
@lpher, we don't know what a real winter is, over here snow is not the regular occurance that i assume it is in Norway. The whole country grinds to a halt if we get a few inches of settled snow.

last year was the first time in a while that we had some serious snow and at its worst i got less than 100yards up the road before hitting about a 1 in 20 gradient and was left wheelspinning away until I was kindly turned around by a couple of school kids:D

LOL....yeah...i kinda forgot about the fact that im a wee bit further north than you guys.... ;-)

I do see your point...the supra does not handle all that well in REAL snowy conditions with summertires...or even those beforementioned autobahn-only wintertires ;-)

Than again...few cars do.. ;-)

You guys should come over here some time....and REALLY put the Supra to the test..and in these conditions its REAL easy to tell how well balanced the car is ;-)

@lpher