The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU + Fuel Pump ?

bmx1lew

Right I am really lost off on who or what to believe, I have read If going BPU you should change your fule pump however I am getting mixed opinions on this, I have spoken to a few local mechanics and a few on this bored who know there stuff about the supra. Now the only way to put this without trying to sound bad is the people who have advised that "no you dont need a fuel pump, its bollox" are older or possibly wiser mechanics or stricend to there older ways so to speak. The people who have advised I need a fuel pump have been people who tend to sell parts or are younger.

So without saying who is wrong and who is right all i can say is I am lost off. I am unsure myself as I am not much of a mechanic and wouldnt know, So I would say I am a sheep and follow what i read on here but the people who advised i dont need one are who know there stuff, I am not saying any one who has told me too buy one doesnt know there stuff but they seem younger gen of people, so I get the impression that they do what every one else does.. like me, follow what they read on here?

I wont say names, but to clarify confussion on who and what to believe....why do I need a fuel pump for bpu? What is the benfits and is there proof, I dont want to spend £80 if i dont need to?

Lew.

As I understand it, its just a precaution. Our cars are getting on in life, and if the pump is old and tired, your fuel could go lean and damage the engine.

I understand the walbro we replace it with, probably isnt as good as a new original pump, but is fine for BPU, so for 80 quid, why risk it?

Than again, I'm a sheep, baaaa lol

You don't NEED a new fuel pump to go BPU but it's a really good & safe idea! When your car is running higher boost it's working harder to pump fuel into the engine. If your fuel pump is old and doesn't send enough petrol to the engine or breaks completely because of the stress then your car will run lean.

Running lean = Detonation & melted pistons etc.. = Engine rebuild!!

So it's £80 now or a couple of grand in a few months time! I know what i'd do (did;))

The walbro fuel pumps are also uprated so you're almost guarenteed that you're getting enough fuel to the engine. It's also wise to invest in a wideband sensor and gauge to monitor AFRs.. Again, £150 isn't comparable to the cost of a rebuild and it's another cool gauge to have in the car.

Has your fuel pump ever been changed? If not then i'd definitely do it! :)

so you dont want to spend 80 quid on fuel pump and then you ask how much a wideband sensor is gonna cost.....youve got me well confused?

"So it's £80 now or a couple of grand in a few months time! I know what i'd do (did)"

here here!

:yeahthat:

what you worried about, for £70 you should just do it, im sure you have spent alot more getting the rest of the stuff to get full BPU.....

FFS do people read these threads! I said I want to know if it is some thing that needs changing as some garages and people on here are telling me I dont need to change it and some are, hense posting a thread to find out the truth behind it, at the end of the day if its not needed why waste £80

You don't NEED a new fuel pump to go BPU but it's a really good & safe idea! When your car is running higher boost it's working harder to pump fuel into the engine. If your fuel pump is old and doesn't send enough petrol to the engine or breaks completely because of the stress then your car will run lean.

Running lean = Detonation & melted pistons etc.. = Engine rebuild!!

So it's £80 now or a couple of grand in a few months time! I know what i'd do (did;))

The walbro fuel pumps are also uprated so you're almost guarenteed that you're getting enough fuel to the engine. It's also wise to invest in a wideband sensor and gauge to monitor AFRs.. Again, £150 isn't comparable to the cost of a rebuild and it's another cool gauge to have in the car.

Has your fuel pump ever been changed? If not then i'd definitely do it! :)

right in that case it does sound like it is worth doing how much is a wideband sensor and does that come with a AFR guage? IF i got a AFR guage what should it be at about 14?

Lew.

Now that i have had it explianed to me i can see that it is worth getting!

so you dont want to spend 80 quid on fuel pump and then you ask how much a wideband sensor is gonna cost.....youve got me well confused?

"So it's £80 now or a couple of grand in a few months time! I know what i'd do (did)"

here here!

:rolleyes: I didnt know how important one was before, so I know where to spend money..

:rolleyes:

At 80 PSI the standard 255 lph pump will flow around 132 liters (35 gallons) per hour. With increased boost pressure this pump can easily max out making your engine run dangerously lean.

At that same 80 PSI the equivalent High Pressure Walbro 255lph fuel pump will flow over 210 liters (50 gallons) per hour capable of holding up to around 500bhp!

This might help

The std pump if in good condition (low miles) is perfectly adequate for flowing enough fuel for BPU.

BUT most people change it to be on the safe side, just in case,

however i have heard tales (mainly via the US that Walbro pumps are not all that either:blink:) mine has been in for two years and its fine! but if your going to be paranoid then use two pimps;)

About double the cost I believe.

They have come down in price considerably in the last few years. I think it was kylestt who was offering them for around £120 recently. At this price I'd go for the UK spec pump over the walbro.

Lex, as others have said, it's more of a precutionary thing more than anything else. The pumps and sock filters fear/clog over time so for that sake of £120 it's something thats well worth while investing in. I see it the same way as changing plugs or oil, they necessarily *need* changing every 6000 miles, but we do it as a precoutionary measure. Pumps, afr gauges, uprated/new intercoolers are all precautionary measures to ensure the engine is working at its best.

The stock jspec pump is 'okay' for BPU, but if it's towards the end of it's life it will not be good enough. The Walbro is a good priced upgrade from the stock pump.

I bought mine at BPU then it started running lean at which time it was noticed that the pump hadn't been changed so put a Wlabro in. Damage had been done though and det and piston damage followed.

Learn by my mistake and change it immediately.