The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaning the underside of cam covers

DamanC

I am going to pop my bling cam covers on @ the weekend, unfortunately the underside has lots of died on oil and probably bits of fluf and sandpaper from when they were polished up. What can I use to clean them up?

Kind of what i mean but with fresh oil pictured here;

Whilst Im at it, im going to replace the two breather hose's and perhaps a couple of coil pack connectors should they break. Im slightly concerned by these rubber washers that look like they are conected to the metal washers and one is bound to split, can these be ordered from mr T? Are they part of the main washer?

I am not sure about the washer bit, but I would try cleaning the oil off with a fast drying solvent cleaner, wont do any damage and should shift the oil fairly quick, and will have dried out by the time its all back together so no oil contamination.

Hope that helps mate.

They don't look too bad at all.

To clean off heavy deposits of oil i use nitromoors and a scrubbing brush but i use to replace the sealant at the same time. white spirit and a brush should do it.

I would be more concerned with the internals of the covers, as i bet they weren't masked before polishingthat they have no deposits in them, flush them through thoroughly !

See here for part no;s for the cover washer etc: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=49859&highlight=valve+stem

Sorry Colin, I think i may have confused you a little RE the cleaning. Its the insides I want to clean but the picture is not of my covers (TLicences valve thread). TBH they are not that bad. Most of the polishing was done a long time ago, they have since come of the first car and then to me, I have just buffed them up with a couple of soft mops and cloths, but they have been exposed for probably 3 months now so all the oil and cr@p has dried on the inside.

Solvents, right, any recomendations, White spirit? Flush it, wipe it? I havent a steam cleaner, anything round the house I could use?

• 5 months later...