The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Valve Guide oil seals

Guest Garfy

Guest Garfy

I've noticed that I sometimes get a puff of blue smoke on start up, so I think its time for me to do the valve guide oil seals.

how difficult are they to do, does the head need to come off?

how much, and where can I get them from?

Thanks

Garath

is that a standard response these days?

Theres been at least three threads within the last week or so, seems to be more and more sups with this problem now including mine.

Proper job is a head off and I'd lap in the valves while having the opportunity.

Other method is filling the cylinder with rope to stop the valves from dropping. If your unlucky though you'll be taking the head off to retrieve a valve.

Guest Garfy
Theres been at least three threads within the last week or so, seems to be more and more sups with this problem now including mine.

Proper job is a head off and I'd lap in the valves while having the opportunity.

Other method is filling the cylinder with rope to stop the valves from dropping. If your unlucky though you'll be taking the head off to retrieve a valve.

hmmm, I dont like the spund of that, head off it is then :(

• 2 months later...
well, I'm going to have to do this job, can someone point me in the right dirrection for the parts?

Thanks

Garath

Gareth if you are removing the head I would buy a complete Engine Valve Grind Gasket Kit, this includes all new stem seals, head gasket, cam cover seals, cam seals, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, etc. basically everything you need.

I can order for you if needed, if you'd like more details drop me a pm.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/879/picture1mb0.png

If you're careful by making sure you cover up any oilways and the spark plug holes, and use the right tool - the snap-on magnetic one is very good, then doing this job with the head on is a very good choice.

All it takes is for you to take your time, take the right precautions and be careful what you're doing.

Guest Garfy

Yeah, I'm currently in 2 minds as to take the head off or not, I like the idea of not having to, but at the same time it would be nice to de choke and lap the valves, dunno really.