The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or Manual

supraspeed

i'm in a bit of a conflict at the moment.

when i eventually sell my supe i'm hoping to get a standardish tt. seen a few nice ones but because auto's are much cheaper- and generally more choice. ive always driven manual cars and find them fun in the redline thrashing aspect. is the supra autobox any good? i know the performance stats are a bit different but does this take the fun completely out driving a manual?

i'm in a bit of a conflict at the moment.

when i eventually sell my supe i'm hoping to get a standardish tt. seen a few nice ones but because auto's are much cheaper- and generally more choice. ive always driven manual cars and find them fun in the redline thrashing aspect. is the supra autobox any good? i know the performance stats are a bit different but does this take the fun completely out driving a manual?

I thought the performance stats were the same ?

I know that it seems to be a general concencious that autos are good for drag racing as they change at the same point every time etc.

i thought the tt m was a bit faster off the mark... well depends on the driver but can you take the auto to the redline like the manuals? the only thing slightly convincing me to try an auto is

1- cheaper to buy

2- more choice

3-i had major foot ache off my single turbo cluch...uprated but still like trying to crush a brick when pedal to floor lol

Use the manual mode to redline it :D Some people have put auto diffs on manual cars because the acceleration is slightly improved.

However 2nd tubby cutting in by accident on wet corner = fun. You can manage the revs better in the manual and keep the surprises down.:)

I never wanted an auto but was forced to go TT auto for money reasons. I can honestly say the auto box does not bring my enjoyment of the TT down at all. The box is great, and dont regret it one bit. Of course its still early days and i'm blown away by the difference in power from N/A to TT and I may get bored eventually, but for now I love it..!!!

now i'm more confused lol. i suppose big bhp auto supras would be a lot easier in traffic than manuals. killed my left foot in mine

The auto box is only good for a certain amount of BHP (I am sure someone will come along and say exactly how much) but nevertheless is strong and you will have to search long and hard to find someone who has had problems with it.

Also, is does redline if you want it to whether in MANU or not and there is a sensor that cuts the engine if you go 'over' the redline for obvious reasons

Great box, makes driving round town a piece of pi$$, however get on the open roads and it's great fun!!! I don't tend to use manu mode much at all, just use the O/D button and shift into second to help brake/keep revs up coming out of corners.

Definately recommend it:)

I started out with an auto, went to a UK 6sp and now Im back with an auto, and I have to admit I have never been happier.

The 6sp took the enjoyment out of driving for me. I like the push and go style of the auto and would never swap back to a 6sp now.

I would also happily use an auto on a track, I took my original auto on a number of track days and it was a hoot. Less so with the 6sp.

Im probably an exception, most people love the 6sp, its just not right for my driving style (which is lazy to say the least).

Its down to your preference really. You can save a decent amount of money on a Supra by buying a TT auto...

I bought my 6 speed manual vvti and i had nothing but problems with the gearbox after i just spent 12k on buying the Supra!

The auto box is very good and i have never heard of problems with it.

Personally though, i like to be in control of my car and would never have an auto as i feel would take the enjoyment out of driving for me.

Also, i dont lile the noise the auto makes when changing gear...its a horrible droning noise! I would advise you though, if you decide on a manual,

look over the gearbox very carefully for faults...just like i DIDNT!

I had an Auto for seven years and never had any noises. I think your box was shagged.

No never had an auto terminator. I was just demonstrating that when the auto changes into a different gear, its just a horrible noise.

Not like a manual where you change gear, if you know what im trying to say. Put it like this, you know a manual when you hear it and what's

an auto when you hear it....thats what im trying to demonstrate.

I just dont like the noise the auto makes when it changes gear...if that makes sense! :)