The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Hidden' radio aerial

BIG BLUE

I have removed the aerial / wing hole from my car when I debadged and we wipered it. Does anyone know where I can buy a small car aerial from that I could mount somewhere hidden or done something similar?

I was thinking about in the rear bumper or the like (I still have the aerial lead running to the rear wing, but no aerial)

Isn't there one based in the rear window? Maybe completely wrong but im sure i read that somewhere...

yes there is one there but it isnt supposed to be that great. actually significantly poor compared to the vertical one.

Guest CoolsBlue

im going to do the same thing soon, this is what im going to do, get a bee sting one from halfords, remove the rear number plate revealing the big hole and the bumper bar, fit it to the bar and wire it up to the original wiring so its hidden with good reception and the original one is blocked of:)

... and wire it up to the original wiring so its hidden with good reception and the original one is blocked of:)

Have you actually tried this? You say good reception, so I'd assume that you've tested it? From my research it seems that the stubby aerials don't give that good a reception to start with, and that's when they are in the open with no metal bodywork causing issues with the signal strength.

I'd like to look at doing something similar, but from reading about the stubby aerials I'm not too sure at the moment.

im going to do the same thing soon, this is what im going to do, get a bee sting one from halfords, remove the rear number plate revealing the big hole and the bumper bar, fit it to the bar and wire it up to the original wiring so its hidden with good reception and the original one is blocked of:)

I did the exact same on my old red one.. but it was a extendable metal one.. ( ive tested and you need to buy a quality one)

Reception was not as good as the mast 10ft above ur car but it was good enough..

(Ok so not exactly the same but u get the idea :D)

There is a stock aerial connection to the rear window heating element, I use that and the reception is fine. didnt have to buy anything just plugged it in :)

Really, im gona have to try that. Not had a radio for over a year, just cd's:rolleyes:

where can i find the connection? :)

:yeahthat: where is the stock connection to rear windscreen element?

Would love to try it out, and if it's no good I can revert back to using the aerial with no mods required :)

its behind the dash :D

it has smaller connector then normal radio size but my new radio came with an adapter for smaller aerials. Its completely wired up right up to behind the stereo, you may just need to find it as itmay of been tucked away.

ohhhhh, interesting. I have no stereo at the moment so will have to have a fish around and see what I can find behind the dash.

When you say smaller connector - I assume it is still the same type of connector, just a smaller version then? I.e. a barrel type connector, similar to a phono plug?

EDIT: Found answer searching on here.... may give it a go if I can find a stereo for my car :) Don't use the radio much, apart from Radio1, which usually has a good reception anyway.

its behind the dash :D

it has smaller connector then normal radio size but my new radio came with an adapter for smaller aerials. Its completely wired up right up to behind the stereo, you may just need to find it as itmay of been tucked away.

Cool, I remember seeing one of them last week when I was installing the new stereo. I guess Halfords will sell the adapter?

Just that I understand!: I should be able to locate a stock arial connection to the rear window element behind the dash when I remove the head unit and plug into the back of my head unit via an adaptor or via a smaller plug on the back of my headunit (that I think exists)?

I don't have to buy another aerial at all?

Cheers

Just that I understand!: I should be able to locate a stock arial connection to the rear window element behind the dash when I remove the head unit and plug into the back of my head unit via an adaptor or via a smaller plug on the back of my headunit (that I think exists)?

Cheers

Would appear that the only thing you'd need to buy is the adaptor for the plug - whether or not you are then happy with the reception would dictate if you need another aerial :)

Cheers

Correct, signal in my area is fine for all stations. I guess if you live in the sticks may be slightly worse.

Like I said it looks like a mini me aerial, so cant miss it, good luck!