The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra and quality of life

Guest gigerj

Guest gigerj

Hi all,

Just thought Id post up about something thats on my mind a lot these days - namely the cost of running a Supra as a daily driver.

I use my stock TT Supra everyday to do a 30 mile round trip to work and also at weekends for pootling about. This costs me approx £200+ a month in petrol and £85 in insurance.

I earn 30k a year and with debts/bills etc, keeping the supe on the road leaves me VERY little spare cash at the end of every month. It feels like I am working solely to pay bills and thats it.

I dont think I could live without a fast car, as I tried to do the eco car thing a while back and it lasted a few months. So what are my options? Sell the supra and get something more economic to insure and run? Or howabout getting a hack to run around in and keep the supe for special occasions? Problem there is that I have very little spare cash, no savings and cannot afford at the moment to buy another car to run around in. Plus the issue of double insurance etc etc....

Anyone got any thoughts ideas????

Guest Nicholas
Why not sell the twin turbo and go down to a n/a?

cheaper insurance, slightly better mpg and still the prestige of a supra. Plus you'll have money left from the tt sale as of course its going to have a higher value than the n/a?

He said he liked fast cars :D joking aside sell the supra and buy a cheap run around, get some savings behind you then come back to the supra scene.

Thats not that bad! I'm 200quid a month for my sh*tty Tigra and thats a 1.4, ok my round trip is 45miles a day plus I use it weekends but theres not much in it.

The only benefit I see to having the supra as a second car is the enjoyment factor, I used it as a daily for the first year, got pretty bored with the power, didnt get the high i got and didnt appreciate it as much, hence me spending just short of 20k modding it,

If your saving for something, sell the sup but if your not then you'll just spend the extra cash on some other sh*t - or your woman....or man...you know what I mean:innocent:

Why not sell the twin turbo and go down to a n/a?

cheaper insurance, slightly better mpg and still the prestige of a supra. Plus you'll have money left from the tt sale as of course its going to have a higher value than the n/a?

Insurance should not be different from an NA. I got a cheaper quote for a TT than an NA... As for the petrol costs they should be roughly the same, unless you constantly boot the TT

Guest gigerj

Personally, I dont think I would be that much better off each month if I sell the Supra and use the funds to buy some 1.2 hatchback - perhaps 30-50 quid better off???

Not that great is it?

I'm in the same boat, mate. Last month I had to get a full set of new brake discs, MOT, tax & insurance which left me with £60 in my bank account after the rest of the bills came out. Really gutted as I'd just managed to get about a grand saved up and I've to start again now. I usually have maybe £100-£200 to play with by the end of the month.

Still, I wouldn't want to drive anything else and having a second car to hack about in just doesn't add up for me, plus I'd hate it.

I say keep the Supra and just get on with it.

Guest gigerj
I usually have maybe £100-£200 to play with by the end of the month.

Sounds exactly like me mate. I dont think I could ever part with the Supra as I love it too much to let it go for a shitbox. However, it simply is crushing to think that the vast majority of your income goes on fuelling the bloody thing!!!

Sounds exactly like me mate. I dont think I could ever part with the Supra as I love it too much to let it go for a shitbox. However, it simply is crushing to think that the vast majority of your income goes on paying extortionate taxes masquerading as environmental policy loosely based on some unproven science!!!

Edited for truth.

I really try not to think about it, but seriously, if you reckon that a cheap hack would only make you £40 or so better off, then what's the point? We can (just) afford to have a car we love and not starve to death so why don't we just enjoy it while we can.

It's even more depressing when you work out how much you've spent in mods (if any). I feel guilty when I think about what I could have done with the £10,000 I've spent on my car, but at the end of the day, I've got the car exactly how I want it and I hope to still be enjoying it in 10 years time, so the outlay will have been worth it.

At the end of the day, if it's causing you stress, then it might be time to get rid. If you still grin every time you get in it, then it's worth it I reckon.

[Edit] Rob, I'd say your spot on with that. The issue of tax and the threat of far more tax in the future is more worrying to me than the cost of petrol.

hey dude! well u earn a lot more than i do.. and i have like zero money since i bought it and still payin debt... but at the end of the day i wouldnt change this car for the world...so i sell extra stuff on ebay to keep goin :D that or just try and spend less in general :D works out okay tho!

I earn 30k a year and with debts/bills etc, keeping the supe on the road leaves me VERY little spare cash at the end of every month. It feels like I am working solely to pay bills and thats it.

Oh my heart bleeds. Trying doing £200+ per month with 12k debt on 16k per year. That was tough.:p

Why don't you get a Chinese scooter as the alternative vehicle? Its not as mad as it sounds, as I'm seriously thinking of getting one myself, and with everything included (OTR), I've managed to get it all for around £1,500, new.

I can then have the car for weekends/spirited drives, and the scooter for the daily commute.

Maybe I am just mad then, but its an idea :)

Sounds tough.. but an NA wont help you much with the fuel economy, just drive a little more frugally and you'll be suprised how much better your fuel economy gets.

Anyway, imho a Supra isnt worth getting into financial trouble over, sell it if you cant afford to own it.