The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to do...engine options

bolarbag

What should I do  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do

• Get someone to rebuild my existing 2JZ
    • Buy a new 2JZ short block & build up from there
    • Buy an assembled beast from the states?

I'm wondering what to do here...

I have a non vvti 2JZ GTE,

I aim for 600fwhp just now,probably more along the line, I want a strong engine capable of 1.8 bar, (probably be run at 1.6bar) using jun pistons and Carillo Rods(H-beam), HKS 264/264's, stock size valves e.t.c

1./So do I keep my already healthy 55k miles engine and get the rebuild

It will need Bored, honed, crank balanced and polished

2./Or do I buy a brand new toyota short block, it will probably need crank balanced after new rods and pistons fitted, but at least I know its brand new and any damage sustained to crank e.t.c over my engines short life will not be an issue, plus no machining costs and no polishing e.t.c

3./Or do I buy a fully built engine from the states, theres not much in it pricewise - I'd probably save money this option

other engines(3S GTE's, V8's e.t.c) are not really an option as I've already bought the exhaust side of my setup and fueling e.t.c,

Get your own own done, unless you think the crank is worn. A short motor will need a full strip and rebuild to fit the new internals. A block that's had loads of heat cycles is more stable than a new one. BMW, in the midst of the 1000 BHP 1.5 litre turbo era, searched European scrap yards for mega mileage blocks as the basis for the engines as they were stabilised. Not saying they just fitted some rusty hulk, they had full internal polishing, the works, but they preferred that route to a new casting, and for good reasons.

You think I should take my block and sit it outside for a bit pre-delivery:d

No I dont think theres anything wrong with engine, I could probably just use the stock bottom end for my application but I'm not the type of person that can leave 4k in the bank waiting for that day when it goes pop, and it'll be the only thing limiting me from increasing the power output when I eventually decide to,

For stock size valves you definitely dont think port and polish of the head is a worthwhile exercise?

I have already bought a FULL RACE tubular manifold, I have the exhaust side of the engine stuff already, there are no supports unfortunately but their highly regarded in the US, well the gen 2 ones are anyhow

Anything else I should put on my list that are essentials for the block?

Jun Pistons,

Carillo Forged Rods - H-Beams

Power Enterprise Engine Bearings - Or Oem - please advise

ARP Main Crank Stud Kit,

New Oil Pump

New Water Pump

New oem seals and gaskets