The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting/Spraying Calipers

fri3ndly

OK this weekend I am looking to paint the calipers that are currently red.

I am not sure of the colour to go for yet, but I am going to get Hammerite smooth finish.

Can anyone tell me whether the surface needs to be prepared like respraying dash? Ie, will the calipers need to be rubbed down and primed?

EDIT: Just read about the hammerite stuff and it said it can be sprayed on to rusty calipers and doesnt need to be primed. Just wondering what the best way to get all the muck off them is and they look like quite a rough surface at the moment

hey ;)

Looking to do this myself too. I imagine keying the surface will help the new coat stay on, look nice and smooth too :)

I painted the calipers on my last car with a special caliper paint which needed preping with an aerosol cleaner (Tetracycline I think) but was expensive and still faded with the heat generated by braking. Do a search mate, think this has been covered a few times now.

Lx

I used black Hammerite smooth on my calipers last summer, and you wouldn't have known I'd ever done them, as brake dust really does cling to it.

I will try that caliper paint, in silver, next time, as the 'glossiness' to it must keep the crud at bay. Oh and get the Supra stick on logos too, as they look great. IMO of course :)