The mkiv Supra Owners Club

annoying rattle help please

supra_si

After installing my hks off terminator ( many thanks there buddy)

i seem to have developed a clanking rattle which vibrates thro the centre console.

ive checked the hangers and its sitting snug as me and my mate installed it last night.

has anyone had any noises like this after installing an aftermarket exhaust.

sounds like somethings loose but ewe never undid anything other than the exhaust.

yeah i get this off my super dragger too. theres a metal plate towards the back between the car and the exhaust, by the front of the spare wheel well iirc- this is what its rattling against. my mechaninc said he could take the plate out but im thinking its there for a reason so i havent yet. but its a pain, sounds really bad now too - getting worse each time i drive her. anyone got any ideas?

im guessing one of thems the big metal plate that mines knocking against then? cool cars due to go on the ramp on saturday so i'll have a look then :thumbs:

If you picture a stock exhaust (or even if you can find a picture of one) there is a heat shield located at each of the silencers parts of the exhaust.

IIRC there are some along the 2nd decat and also at the 1st decat.

If you picture a stock exhaust (or even if you can find a picture of one) there is a heat shield located at each of the silencers parts of the exhaust.

IIRC there are some along the 2nd decat and also at the 1st decat.

sounds about right if memory serves me correctly. if its safe to remove, off it comes then :)

which ones mate? as i where would they be located? havent been under the car much...

I was under the car the other week when i was looking at my gearbox for rattling noises. I seem to remember that one heatshield is

towards the back of the car but a little to the right of that - near the rear suspension.

The next heatshield im guessing is the one which is rattling would be the one directly above where the second cat would be.

Hope this helps...:)

aii helps alot im gonna get it back up on stands tomorrow morning and follow the pipe with the engine running and see whats going on. was worrying as it sounded like it was vibrating thru the gearbox area of the car but ts been running fine b4 i changed the exhaust over so it surely cant be a gearbox issue.

aii helps alot im gonna get it back up on stands tomorrow morning and follow the pipe with the engine running and see whats going on. was worrying as it sounded like it was vibrating thru the gearbox area of the car but ts been running fine b4 i changed the exhaust over so it surely cant be a gearbox issue.

Oh no trust me...i know about gearbox issues lol!! :(

I bet you that the heatshield may have been accidently knocked or hit, bending or loosening the heatshield...they are only tin...well pretty much...:)

yeh we removed the heatshield when we took it off then put it back on althought there was a few hits on it by the wrench. could be the problem. i think the 3" pipes just echo the sound louder than the actual problem

Yeh its sounding more like it mate, the h/s is probably bent and like you say, its causing an echo. Just rip it out mate or straighten it out...:) ;)

hmm not keen on ripping things but if its a pain it has to go

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to bend it back into shape - do it. If you want to take it out - go for it lol!

The heatshield is/was meant for the stock system and now you have got rid of it, there is really no need for it! :D

yeh i suppose so althought there was a heat shield/ gasket that was on the cat bolts that i reused although im sure thats not causing it. i will have to just have a look at it tomorrow morning after work when i take it round my mates.

will let you know what we find

yeh i suppose so althought there was a heat shield/ gasket that was on the cat bolts that i reused although im sure thats not causing it. i will have to just have a look at it tomorrow morning after work when i take it round my mates.

will let you know what we find

Yeh please do mate. :)