The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Machine Shops - Who would you recommend please?

and1c

As above guys.

I'm nearly at the stage with my project motor where I need a few engine builders services.

Such as...

Hot Tank the block

Rebore for 86.5mm CP pistons

Hone etc

I did have a guy local to me who has done some first rate jobs for me in the past but he has retired unfortunately and I dont trust the new guy at his old shop :search:

So, does anyone have anywhere to recommend that knows and has worked on 2JZ engines sucessfully before?!

Distance ideally within 100miles from Sheffield.

I was thinking of a shop called Ice Automotive located in Northants but I have only read a few posts about them on here, I have no actual references on them!!

I have also heard good things about Swindon Race Engines but Im not sure if they will do 'small' jobs like this.

Thanks in advance

Swindon will do it, you may not like the prices though. A bit OTT for what you need. They are definitely NOT within 100 miles of you, either ;)

Cheers Chris ;)

Ouch...170 miles :(

but having said that, Im sure you know much more than most the labour that goes into a full rebuild and blueprint so distance to the place is not my biggest concern. Sensible cost is a factor though Im not expecting it to be cheap.. Im going to see what they say tomorrow.

I guessing you dont take your motors to Swindon race engines though? :innocent::eyebrows:

Me thinks Im going to do some digging and ring around a bit. See which outfit inspires me with confidence and take it from there..

I'm not sure what the going rates are in the UK, but possibly you guys should really take advantage of the cheap labor rates in the USA. You'd be AMAZED at the cost to do the highest quality work.

Block:

Head:

Again, I'm not sure what you guys are paying for labor in the UK, but the labor to buld a 2jz like this is roughly 2100GBP (less if bollet mains aren't opted), and shipping to Europe according to our latest shipment is ~400GBP. For that you get an assembled longblock ready to swap over.

Eric

Cheers Chris ;)

Ouch...170 miles :(

but having said that, Im sure you know much more than most the labour that goes into a full rebuild and blueprint so distance to the place is not my biggest concern. Sensible cost is a factor though Im not expecting it to be cheap.. Im going to see what they say tomorrow.

I guessing you dont take your motors to Swindon race engines though? :innocent::eyebrows:

Me thinks Im going to do some digging and ring around a bit. See which outfit inspires me with confidence and take it from there..

I do use Swindon, yes, for dyno work and mapping, plus very occasional machine work that defeats my normal man. If you want to get the block to me I can get it bored, honed, checked for parallelism, and the rotating bits individually balanced.

What are the advantages to an 700fwhp engine using billet mains caps?

At that level, none. It comes into play at ~1100rwhp. The usual cost for line boring and honing is ~350GBP.

What's the usual cost in labor of building a block in the UK? Im serious about letting us USA guys get a hold of your UK motors. You guys see what we make as far as HP goes, and the pricing is very reasonable. As far as quality goes, I can't speak for others as I've seen some dodgy work out there, but the gentleman with that NA head above makes 780rwhp on an NA motor/head/distributor and 72mm turbo, running out of injector at 28psi.

Eric

At that level, none. It comes into play at ~1100rwhp. The usual cost for line boring and honing is ~350GBP.

What's the usual cost in labor of building a block in the UK? Im serious about letting us USA guys get a hold of your UK motors. You guys see what we make as far as HP goes, and the pricing is very reasonable. As far as quality goes, I can't speak for others as I've seen some dodgy work out there, but the gentleman with that NA head above makes 780rwhp on an NA motor/head/distributor and 72mm turbo, running out of injector at 28psi.

Eric

Nice pictures Eric :cool:

What company are you please?

I had never considered the US route apart from a Titan pre built stroker motor.

How long roughly do items of that size take to arrive Uk>US and the other way around?

Nice pictures Eric :cool:

What company are you please?

I had never considered the US route apart from a Titan pre built stroker motor.

How long roughly do items of that size take to arrive Uk>US and the other way around?

I ordered tires x 4 from tirerack in the US. Came faster than wheel nuts/studs from one of our UK traders (which also happened to be wrong.....)

Really, we might still have the best niche engineering; but for everything else car related, the US pisses on the UK, especially on customer service. All IMO from someone who has been there/done that, and spent the money involved.

Really, we might still have the best niche engineering; but for everything else car related, the US pisses on the UK, especially on customer service. All IMO from someone who has been there/done that, and spent the money involved.

couldn't aggree more fella i had exactly the same with a fluidyne rad, the UK trader finally got round to e-mailing me back 2 weeks after the rad was bought from the US, shipped and installed, i am also still waiting for a quote for a Turbo from when i went single ...................................from 2 years ago :p