The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stainless control knobs?

Paul

Anyone changed or thought of changing the dash control knobs for stainless or ali?

I've had a word with a mate at work and he says he'll copy the originals but in solid stainless, he'll even do the 'D' on the fixing hole so it'll fit as the original :)

I was thinking of shot/vapour blasting them to give a frosted/matt look?

The ones I can think of straight away are the fan and temp ones, maybe also the dimmer switch.

Any links or photos of similar mod available?

Paul

Hi Gaz,

yeah, I thought that a turned finish would look cheap and polished would make them annoying when sunny.

Simple to blast them, only I may have to laquer them cause blasting may make finger prints show all the time?

Great minds think alike! :D

Paul

Fook sake! should have kept quite and made a few quid :D

Gaz, if it helps, my 'turner' mate has already started the project today, we have decided in ali as stainless looked too 'grey'.

What we are doing is making caps to fit over the originals, having a wall thickness of 0.5/0.75mm, they are hardly any bigger than the originals and fit tight over the top :thumbs:

This method gives the look without the hassle of worrying about

the fittings.

The finish we have settled on is more of a brushed ali, polished in the lathe with scotchbrite. On the temp control one is a small line or pointer, this we have achieved by masking and shot blasting a line on the ali, looks well smart!

Complete with rounded off corners like the originals and I've asked him to knock up one for the radio/cd (Toyota type).

With this, he'll mill a through slot to line up with the clear line on it, still allowing the green backlight to shine through.

Paul

Sounds interesting, is there a RHD brushed ally dashboard trim set you can get to brighten things up - instead of doing the AVC-R black to match the dash it might be easier to make the dash match the AVC-R and then I can get a silver stereo too, choice is limited in the black MP3 players it seems!

Gaz, not sure if he wants to go into 'mass production', he done this for me for the price of a couple of packs of fags :p

I'll ask, not sure he will though as it was a 'homer', done instead of what he's being paid to do :D

See your point Ashley but what I was after was a few select highlights in ali, all switches would look too much imo. I've settled on just the round control knobs for now as they form a nice line down the left of the dash.

Not finished yet but will post a pic when done, have tried one tonight and they look as good as I thought they would.

Paul

Had a go at making some myself, made them from aluminium bar polished with scotchbrite, manufactured them properly like the originals with the 'd' on the back and nice radius edges, really good fit, i dont like them though make the dash look really cheap.

Photos to follow

nick

back face.jpg

Mine are the same, as you say the scotchbrite finish makes them look crap.

I have now polished mine, removing the turning marks and they do look much better. Also done the radio one so I have three in a row down the left side of the dash.

I haven't polished to a mirror finish, just enough to stop them looking home made if you see what I mean? :p

Paul

Now got a photo!

Polished the lot then 'brushed' finish on the sides. Note, the dark line on the top of the foremost one was achieved by masking then shotblasting (temp control knob).

Will do a photo with all three fitted, Nicks photo of one only doesn't do them justice imo.

Paul

ali one.jpg