The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mpg???

Duffman

It could be said that if you have to ask that question then you have the wrong car :)

True, if you count the pennys and work out your MPG every day the supra would probably be a depressing car to run. That said it is useful to calculate the fuel consumption once in ahwile as it can help show up problems or simply help you adjust driving style for a bit more ecconomy.

What brand / type of petrol do you all use? Is it more important to use special unleaded for tt's? or do you recommend it for all supra's? what are the benefits?

For a TT, use high octane petrol only. Despite the rediculous fuel prices, i use only V-power. However, you can use BP ultimate with is 97 RON (superunleaded)

V-power is 99 RON and the supra engine loves it! Dont use anything below 97 RON though as you will cause pinking (detination of the engine)

in the long term as it is the incorrect fuel to use.

If you have an n/a, it will run on 95 RON but wouldnt recommend it. Again, i used 97 RON (superunleaded petrol)

Hope this helps! :D

For a TT, use high octane petrol only. Despite the rediculous fuel prices, i use only V-power. However, you can use BP ultimate with is 97 RON (superunleaded)

V-power is 99 RON and the supra engine loves it! Dont use anything below 97 RON though as you will cause pinking (detination of the engine)

in the long term as it is the incorrect fuel to use.

If you have an n/a, it will run on 95 RON but wouldnt recommend it. Again, i used 97 RON (superunleaded petrol)

Hope this helps! :D

I would say this maybe slightly wrong unless the US cars can run on a lot lower octane levels than the Jap&Uk cars as the premium unleaded in the USA is only 92-93 see below ;)

"The AKI (anti-knock index -- also known as "octane rating") of the fuel is an average of two different methods of computing the fuel's ability to resist engine knock. Regular unleaded gas in the U.S. has an anti-knock index of 87, while mid-grade is usually 89, and premium typically is 91 - 93. The higher the number, the more anti-knock protection the fuel offers. " :)

Edit:- As a sub note all a higher Octane level means is the "fuel" has a higher ignition temperature and slower burn which inturn reduces the chance of knocking/detting which is the fuel/air mixture exploding while the piston is still moving upward. Therefore pushing it against it's natural movement as it's not at the top of it's stroke, in effect the engine begins to work against itself! ;)

I would say this maybe slightly wrong unless the US cars can run on a lot lower octane levels than the Jap&Uk cars as the premium unleaded in the USA is only 92-93 see below ;)

"The AKI (anti-knock index -- also known as "octane rating") of the fuel is an average of two different methods of computing the fuel's ability to resist engine knock. Regular unleaded gas in the U.S. has an anti-knock index of 87, while mid-grade is usually 89, and premium typically is 91 - 93. The higher the number, the more anti-knock protection the fuel offers. " :)

Edit:- As a sub note all a higher Octane level means is the "fuel" has a higher ignition temperature and slower burn which inturn reduces the chance of knocking/detting which is the fuel/air mixture exploding while the piston is still moving upward. Therefore pushing it against it's natural movement as it's not at the top of it's stroke, in effect the engine begins to work against itself! ;)

Yeh true but it is said that at most, Supra's or for that matter any high octane engine car, at the maximum, shouldnt run below 97 RON.

In this country anyway...:) ;)

Edit: I maybe wrong but i think in Japan, they run their high octane cars on 100 RON...

Yeh true but it is said that at most, Supra's or for that matter any high octane engine car, at the maximum, shouldnt run below 97 RON.

In this country anyway...:) ;)

Edit: I maybe wrong but i think in Japan, they run their high octane cars on 100 RON...

The Jap octane level is 100 on their premium I believe :)

From Wiki:-

Fuel type

It is commonly believed that efficiency of a gasoline engine is related to the fuel's octane level; however, this is not true in most situations. Octane rating is only a measure of the fuel's propensity to cause an engine to "ping", this ping is due to "pre-combustion", which occurs when the fuel burns too rapidly (before the piston reaches top dead center). Higher octane fuels burn more slowly at high pressures. For the vast majority of vehicles (i.e. vehicles with "standard" compression ratios), standard octane fuel will work fine and not cause pinging. Using high octane fuel in a vehicle that does not need it is generally considered an unnecessary expense[13], although Toyota has measured slight differences in efficiency due to octane number even when knock is not an issue [14]. Most vehicles equipped with emissions systems have sensors that will automatically adjust the timing, if and when ping is detected, so low octane fuel can be used even if the engine is designed for high octane, at some reduction in efficiency. If the engine is designed for high octane then higher octane fuel will result in higher performance (with full-open throttle), but not necessarily fuel cost savings, since the high-octane is only needed with the throttle fully open. For other vehicles that have problems with ping, it may be due to a maintenance problem, such as carbon buildup inside the cylinder or incorrect spark plug tip length. In such cases, higher octane fuel may help, but this is an expensive fix, proper repair might make more long term sense. There is slightly less energy in a gallon of high octane fuel, than low octane[15]. Ping is detrimental to an engine; it will decrease fuel economy and will damage the engine over time.

The Jap octane level is 100 on their premium I believe :)

From Wiki:-

Fuel type

It is commonly believed that efficiency of a gasoline engine is related to the fuel's octane level; however, this is not true in most situations. Octane rating is only a measure of the fuel's propensity to cause an engine to "ping", this ping is due to "pre-combustion", which occurs when the fuel burns too rapidly (before the piston reaches top dead center). Higher octane fuels burn more slowly at high pressures. For the vast majority of vehicles (i.e. vehicles with "standard" compression ratios), standard octane fuel will work fine and not cause pinging. Using high octane fuel in a vehicle that does not need it is generally considered an unnecessary expense[13], although Toyota has measured slight differences in efficiency due to octane number even when knock is not an issue [14]. Most vehicles equipped with emissions systems have sensors that will automatically adjust the timing, if and when ping is detected, so low octane fuel can be used even if the engine is designed for high octane, at some reduction in efficiency. If the engine is designed for high octane then higher octane fuel will result in higher performance (with full-open throttle), but not necessarily fuel cost savings, since the high-octane is only needed with the throttle fully open. For other vehicles that have problems with ping, it may be due to a maintenance problem, such as carbon buildup inside the cylinder or incorrect spark plug tip length. In such cases, higher octane fuel may help, but this is an expensive fix, proper repair might make more long term sense. There is slightly less energy in a gallon of high octane fuel, than low octane[15]. Ping is detrimental to an engine; it will decrease fuel economy and will damage the engine over time.

Cool description matey...:thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

ive been using normal 95 ron since ive had the car bout 8weeks, do bout 100mile a week, so i take it i should only use vpower then? it a jdm tt, sure i read that its fine to run 95 and only run under this ie 93 in emergency, it says it in supra handbook i bought i think. going to use vpower from now on anyway,

ive been using normal 95 ron since ive had the car bout 8weeks, do bout 100mile a week, so i take it i should only use vpower then? it a jdm tt, sure i read that its fine to run 95 and only run under this ie 93 in emergency, it says it in supra handbook i bought i think. going to use vpower from now on anyway,

CHRIST!! 95 RON?!

Put 99 RON in her or 97 RON in an emergency...:)

Do you know what fuel was used in the Supe you have bought by any chance??

I've spoken to a lot of NA drivers on here who use 95 ron on a regular basis. I use 95 in my UK car, but I've heard J-spec TTs 'run better' on higher octanes. I last used high octane fuel at least 5 months ago, no issues here :)

Really??

That's suprising, i was under the impression that these type of cars should only runon high octane only, otherwise,

pinking and detonation could occur in later engine life...