The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Massive Thank you to Steve R!!

Firestorm

First off, what to say a massive thank you to Steve R for helping me fit my Speedo Convertor and Top Speed Delimiter on Sat, he really is a Master at doing it, and it was good to hang out too. Got to have a ride in his Single turbo beast which is amazing!:D

Thanks Steve!!

on that note.. i think my Thor unit is off a little so will be ringing thor so they can help me figure how to adjust it..

so we come to the smart ppl on here :D.... figuring out the rolling radius- i have 18's on my tyre sizes are:

Front:235/40 ZR 18/95 W

Back:265/35 ZR 18/93 Y

36 psi pressure

if i can figure out where im goin wrong i can +/- the speedo % to make it accurate.

Cheers Guys.

First off, what to say a massive thank you to Steve R for helping me fit my Speedo Convertor and Top Speed Delimiter on Sat, he really is a Master at doing it, and it was good to hang out too. Got to have a ride in his Single turbo beast which is amazing!:D

Thanks Steve!!

on that note.. i think my Thor unit is off a little so will be ringing thor so they can help me figure how to adjust it..

so we come to the smart ppl on here :D.... figuring out the rolling radius- i have 18's on my tyre sizes are:

Front:235/40 ZR 18/95 W

Back:265/35 ZR 18/93 Y

36 psi pressure

if i can figure out where im goin wrong i can +/- the speedo % to make it accurate.

Cheers Guys.

Wow, you keep your tyre pressure at quite a high psi....

I keep mine at 31 psi all round...:) ;)

Edit: The bigger your wheels are, the more rolling resistance you have, dont quote me on this but i think the speedo is out by 2.5 mph...but not quite sure how much.

The van i use at work has 15in wheels on and just for example, its out by 5 mph as it has less rolling resistance...

Thanks Steve!!

No probs Pete, you're more than welcome - glad I could be of assistance. :)

If it over-reads now (and I thought it was a little optimistic when we went out to test the fit), it will have being doing before the conversion mate - it only applies a kph-mph conversion, after all. No biggie, we can correct the modified signal to match you wheel sizes... - when you find out from Thor, let me know how you do it and I'll add it ot the How To guide. :thumbs:

now if only i new stock tyr size...

Have a search chap, but I'm pretty sure the stock 16s are 225/50/16 and 245/50/16 (F/R).

I know I suggested comparing the rolling radius, but on reflection I think a GPS check would be better - or a useful double-check if you do go with the radius comparison - because then you KNOW for sure what speed you're doing and can dial in/out the % discrepency on the Thor unit. If you don't know anyone with a GPS unit let me know next time you're passing and we can use mine; drive at a few set speeds on the GPS (say 30/50/70/x leptons) and write down what the speedo reads; it should be the same % out on each reading; hence easily corrected.

Sorted :)

P.S. Hope the missis wasn't too annoyed you were missing all day - what time did you get back home? We did have to go out in mine and test I'd fitted my numberplate correctly, after all. ;)

LOL oh we had to check that at speed the numberplate was fitted correctly i tottally agree. she was cool actually. got back at 8. so we more or less missed the paint it yourself pottery crap that we didnt wanna do LOL! so yeh she was v.happy.

my dads gotta GPS but hes on holiday til next week. gonna ring thor in bout 5mins actually and find out. il txt u what u they say.

yeh mite have to sort out that gps/ radius stuff etc. def do another day of fixin was well good. but well do a bit more on yours lol!

Spoke to Thor yesterday about adjusting.. they suggest doing some testing with GPS and see how far i am out and then adjust the unit accordingly (flat head screwdriver) however up to 5mph out u just need to reset the needle on the dash.

so hopefully i can get that sorted now! :D]

Steve will add to his how to guide i think.

Spoke to Thor yesterday about adjusting.. they suggest doing some testing with GPS and see how far i am out and then adjust the unit accordingly (flat head screwdriver) however up to 5mph out u just need to reset the needle on the dash.

so hopefully i can get that sorted now! :D]

Steve will add to his how to guide i think.

When you open the unit up to adjust, will you take a photo of the insides please mate? :)

Just to be clear...

If you adjust the speedo needle :eek: that will correct a fixed mph innacuracy (e.g. the speedo is always a fixed #mph out - unlikely). However what yours is (almost definitely) doing is over-reading because you have different rolling-radius tyres fitted, so it'll always be out by a fixed %. That's corrected using the adjustor inside the Thor unit. :thumbs:

You just need to get a few GPS Vs Speedo readings at different speeds to see what that % is. :)

When you open the unit up to adjust, will you take a photo of the insides please mate? :)

Just to be clear...

If you adjust the speedo needle :eek: that will correct a fixed mph innacuracy (e.g. the speedo is always a fixed #mph out - unlikely). However what yours is (almost definitely) doing is over-reading because you have different rolling-radius tyres fitted, so it'll always be out by a fixed %. That's corrected using the adjustor inside the Thor unit. :thumbs:

You just need to get a few GPS Vs Speedo readings at different speeds to see what that % is. :)

rite okay i understand now !:D see mr steve= master amont men lol!