The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suitible clutch for a 550bhp Supra?

SteveR

Currently my Supe has a OS Giken twin-plate clutch but it's towards the end of it's life and needs replacing. Am I best replacing it with the same again, or has anyone any other suggestion? What sort of £££ are we talking?

Also, is it possible to use a stock flywheel with an uprated clutch? How about using a stock flywheel with the OS Giken clutch? I currently I have the matching OS Giken (lightened) flywheel, but after taking advice - if it's possible - I'd like to replace it with stock.

I intend to use the car on the road at least as much as the track.

Cheers!

Steve

The OS Giken twin plate is a complete unit including flywheel and can't be used with a standard flywheel.

You can get full rebuild kits for it for £400-500 which IMO is a bit of a bargain. Seems mad to get rid of such a good clutch when it just needs a rebuild. That's the beauty of the OSG's, when they wear out you just replace the worn bits and not the entire setup.

Chris Wilson can get hold of the parts you would require, worth PM'ing him or alternatively RB Motorsports are the UK distibutor and most of the Jap suppliers can get hold of parts for them.

$2795!!!

Taken from MVP:

Tired of replacing your clutch? Then stop looking! RPS has given us the final statement in clutches with their Patent Pending Carbon-Carbon Twin Disc clutch offered here.

This clutch will hold every bit of 800 torque. Its virtually indestructable, its completely rebuildable (very cheaply) should you ever be able to wear it out.

This is a dream clutch for a hard core drag racer. This is also a dream clutch for a daily driver. How can it be both? The answer is in the carbon. The pedal pressure is slightly heavier than stock and its completely slippable. In fact, the hotter it gets the more power it holds! Hardcore slipping does not glaze the discs...all because its carbon!

$2795!!!

Taken from MVP:

Tired of replacing your clutch? Then stop looking! RPS has given us the final statement in clutches with their Patent Pending Carbon-Carbon Twin Disc clutch offered here.

This clutch will hold every bit of 800 torque. Its virtually indestructable, its completely rebuildable (very cheaply) should you ever be able to wear it out.

This is a dream clutch for a hard core drag racer. This is also a dream clutch for a daily driver. How can it be both? The answer is in the carbon. The pedal pressure is slightly heavier than stock and its completely slippable. In fact, the hotter it gets the more power it holds! Hardcore slipping does not glaze the discs...all because its carbon!

Have you got shares or something? I even want one now ;)

The OS Giken twin plate is a complete unit including flywheel and can't be used with a standard flywheel.

You can get full rebuild kits for it for £400-500 which IMO is a bit of a bargain. Seems mad to get rid of such a good clutch when it just needs a rebuild. That's the beauty of the OSG's, when they wear out you just replace the worn bits and not the entire setup.

Chris Wilson can get hold of the parts you would require, worth PM'ing him or alternatively RB Motorsports are the UK distibutor and most of the Jap suppliers can get hold of parts for them.

Is that all the OS Twin Plate costs to rebuild on the Supe, had one on my MR2 & it was going to cost more than that to rebuild, thats a good price. There's only 1 UK dealer too isn't there, RB?

Aprt from it being a beatch to drive on a day-to-day basis (it's not ideal, but I'd cope) I'm worried that it'll shorten the life of other important components - and for what, a slightly lower transmission loss/faster response of engine? Hmmm..... doesn't sound worth it TBH.

ok I'll give both a shout.

$2795!!!

Taken from MVP:

Interesting, but out of my price range! :D

I had a Exeddy Twin plate in my supra, took all the abuse i could chuck at it for 2 years and was easy to use and quiet, i have heard they are the same as the OSG clutchs but i dont know if thats true.

What sort of £ are we talking Jamie? If they're similar I'll look into that. Current setup rattles when in neutral, TBH it doesn't bother me but if I can get the 'same' setup without the rattle, why not.

Any twin plate will rattle, that's the way it is with the design. Any lightened flywheel will also cause a rattle to some extent. A lightened flywheel isn't going to decrease the lifespan of your gearbox any more than running an extra 200~bhp through it already is to be honest. It's designed for 300 and running more will be putting more stress on it. We all know the Getrag is pretty robust so really don't worry about it.

The OSG is a very good bit of kit, I know a few people who swear by them and I think you'll find Chris speaks very highly of them, which is enough of a recommendation for a lot of people.

I got that price for the rebuild kit direct from a Jap supplier website, I think it might have been Greenline? They do two levels of rebuild, one is just friction plates I believe and one includes the cover plate as well.

I think the current clutch would be fine; with a proper flywheel. How do I get that result?

You don't I'm afraid, it's one unit and not interchangable.

This is a side view of a 2JZ OSG twin plate clutch (TR2CD):

http://www.i-macca.co.uk/temp/supe/supraosg4.jpg

You can see how the flywheel has castle-like turrets built on to it? That's what holds the multiple plates together and creates the twin-plate section of the clutch. Hence, not possible to use with a standard flywheel. Hope that helps make it a bit clearer!

I don't know to be honest, I've only driven a Supra with a standard clutch. I've just bought an OSG myself to go in, so wondering what I've let myself in for! :D

I think the only way you're going to find what you want is to drive other people's cars with different configurations in it. Clutch feel is very subjective, what one person deems to be similar to stock and easy to live with, another person will find snatchy and hard to live with.

If it's as stock as possible that you're after then maybe a standard flywheel with a Chris Wilson uprated clutch, I believe he uprates the OEM units to his own spec. Not sure they'd handle the power you're going to throw at it though? There's a lot of torque from a single that will upset standardish clutches. Worth seeing what he advises?

I had a Exeddy Twin plate in my supra, took all the abuse i could chuck at it for 2 years and was easy to use and quiet, i have heard they are the same as the OSG clutchs but i dont know if thats true.

I had the same on my old supra, once you got used to driving it, I never had a problem with it and like jamie said it will take abuse all day long. these can be picked up on ebay for £850