The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD Spoiler Test Fit

Scott

Test fitted my TRD spoiler today.

Is this a pretty good fit? I know nothing about these matters so will be leaving it up to the body shop but i just want to make sure he doesn't fill me full of bull saying its a terrible fit or anything when its actually ok.

Can't wait to have it finished :)

Test Fit2.jpg

Test Fit3.jpg

Test Fit.jpg

looks fine to me mate :thumbs:

Good stuff, its not quite flush with the boot but it seems good enough. I'm going to put a ring of black silicone round the holes to create a seal so that should be enough of a cushion.

Not really sure what the proper proceedure for this is but when i took the veilside off it was stuck on with double sided sticky tape. It was so sticky it took some paint with it so i aint doing that again. Having the bottom part of the bootlid smoothed and re-painted before attaching the spoiler. Think i'll put the ring if silicone round the holes of the spoiler and let it dry. That way when i screw it down it should create a waterproof seal :)

Good stuff, its not quite flush with the boot but it seems good enough. I'm going to put a ring of black silicone round the holes to create a seal so that should be enough of a cushion.

Not really sure what the proper proceedure for this is but when i took the veilside off it was stuck on with double sided sticky tape. It was so sticky it took some paint with it so i aint doing that again. Having the bottom part of the bootlid smoothed and re-painted before attaching the spoiler. Think i'll put the ring if silicone round the holes of the spoiler and let it dry. That way when i screw it down it should create a waterproof seal :)

its gonna need respraying if the paints come off. and make sure the bodyshop guys apply the silicone, thats their job, they should make it water tight for you, otherwise your be going back in a few months with rust issues ;)

best way is to just let them handle it, probably be easier to paint off the car any way...

Yeah i'm having it smoothed and sprayed. The paint was quite thick and some area's are down to bare metal so it will need smoothed properly.

I would suggest to the bodyshop but i don't want any missunderstandings. I want the spoiler to be watertight but i don't want it stuck to the boot again lol.

Yeah i'm having it smoothed and sprayed. The paint was quite thick and some area's are down to bare metal so it will need smoothed properly.

I would suggest to the bodyshop but i don't want any missunderstandings. I want the spoiler to be watertight but i don't want it stuck to the boot again lol.

yeah should be fine, tell them not bond it but ask them to seal it :)

:p

as opposed to black which never cam into fashion :D

who am i kidding:( you win :(

Black has some major lows buddy. Have u had a black car? Trying to keep it clean is a bloody nightmare. Silver is by far the best car for looking and keeping clean.

I love having a black car, i almost sprayed my MR2 black, but its soooo difficult to look after.

Back when I first fitted my TRD wing it had gaps like that, I stretched it out a bit extending the legs out from the bottom making it fit better to the contours of the boot. However to achieve this I have to elongate the holes the spoiler fitted into, not a pleasant experience...!

From the pics where it joins the boot I would say mine looks better. It's not completely flush, but I definitely can't see the thread of the bolt!

Maybe you can make it better with some cushioning stuff between the two surfaces.

As said above filing out the holes will make it fit much better.

From the pics where it joins the boot I would say mine looks better. It's not completely flush, but I definitely can't see the thread of the bolt!

Maybe you can make it better with some cushioning stuff between the two surfaces.

As said above filing out the holes will make it fit much better.

I hadn't fully tightened it down but i didn't want anything to crack/break.

Yeah, i was thinking about some sort of black foam material for round the outside edge of the spoiler.

Do you mean file the holes towards each other? Or towards the front?

Thanks

:search:

Lol, i was meaning to get the shape correct. As soon as it was dry i would take it off (hence the reason for the masking) smooth it down and then paint it. THat way when i put it onto the car it would look almost flush. I would then round the edges a little bit so it didn't look wierd.

Know what i mean?

Well that all depends on where the threads are coming into contact with the sides of the hole when you try to flatten it out I guess?

Ahh right, yeah of course ;)

I was thinking it was a common issue but obviously every spoiler will have slight differences.

Thanks

e.g. the Toyota boot/spoiler protector thingies I ordered recently? Burna posted the part number, so for £10 or whatever they came to, I ordered them - will hopefully fit them tomorrow. I expect they'll need a little trimming in places as they're stock-spolier shape, but... so? :)

e.g. the Toyota boot/spoiler protector thingies I ordered recently? Burna posted the part number, so for £10 or whatever they came to, I ordered them - will hopefully fit them tomorrow. I expect they'll need a little trimming in places as they're stock-spolier shape, but... so? :)

I gave them to Burna :D Used them on my own car.

Those would be too thin for that gap as it is currently, they're like cardboard thickness.