The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broken gearbox - w58 pics

Lebsteif

Just some pics of my broken gearbox, it will be replaced with a R154 gearbox. Back on the road soon :)

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/wOwAH8KHZfgKRVVUJjzMcesh/full.jpg

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/Z2by2CpO7EgNZQZnq1lqpc1l/full.jpg

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/3QGScARnXHzJqIpw6bdKvCZX/full.jpg

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/Z70n9pQ5DuGtpZx9iBt5DUBi/full.jpg

Quote walhalla :D

i thought it would take a little more then that.... what clutch you got it it? and what setup did you have?

thanks steve

oh and was that at the wheels?

I was using the TRD clutch, a bit weak for my setup but did the job fine till the box broke.

Looks like 3 rd gear? That's the usual failure as you probably can't get full torque in 1st or 2nd due to lack of traction. 3rd or 4th are the typical excess torque gear failures in a 5 speed box/

Could be, i do not have any knowledge about the gears. But it's correct that the third and fourth gear are the weakest.

Just out of interest how much bar are you running?

0,5 Bar with stock injectors, my plan is to run ~0.7 bar (525cc) on the stock headgasket, this is possible due the adjustment of the iginition timing (i'm using a Link ECU).

In the future i will change the headgasket to a stock TT gasket, this is thinner than most aftermarket ones.

Is the r154 a complete replacement box or is it new internals for the exsisting casing, also if you dont mind me asking is it an expensive bit of kit...?

The R154 is bigger and can't be fitted in the casing of the W58.

I'm going to make a full tutorial so it can be used for future reference. Estimated costs will be ~1300 pounds.

Sorry to see this Leb - that's pretty mangled. The R154 isn't quite a Getrag in terms of strength but is rated to cope with around 600lb/ft or so.

I did say a while back when turbofit were churning out NA-T's on W58's that there would be failures - sadly it looks like this is indeed the case. The W58 just isn't a strong enough box.

Cheers,

Brian.

The Aussies seem to like using the W5* boxes with their V8s. The Dellow catalogue says that "this box is used in most of our V8 swaps", and lists conversions for:

Holden V8 – 253 – 308

Chev V8

Ford V8 289, 302, 351

Chrysler Hemi V8

I'd have thought that a big V8's torque would have given the 'box a harder time, but perhaps not.

Is the r154 a complete replacement box or is it new internals for the exsisting casing, also if you dont mind me asking is it an expensive bit of kit...?

i remember reading about doing the conversion a while back, the shift assy and first half of the prop shaft need swapping over, and i seem to remember something about the bell housing needing to be modified

I was very suprised as well that this happend already. Perhaps i did had the best gearbox.

Sorry to see this Leb - that's pretty mangled. The R154 isn't quite a Getrag in terms of strength but is rated to cope with around 600lb/ft or so.

I did say a while back when turbofit were churning out NA-T's on W58's that there would be failures - sadly it looks like this is indeed the case. The W58 just isn't a strong enough box.

Cheers,

Brian.

The Getrag gearbox would be the best in terms of strength but it does come with a price and it exceeds more than i need. The R154 isn;t as strong but will do the job fine since i'm only looking for ~ 500bhp. That's more than enough for me :)

i remember reading about doing the conversion a while back, the shift assy and first half of the prop shaft need swapping over, and i seem to remember something about the bell housing needing to be modified

The swapping of the first half of the driveshaft is only needed when the conversion is taking place in a Lexus, the supra doesn;t need that.

• 1 month later...