The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket battery physical size - smaller - clamping in place?

Pabs

Folks,

My car has the Exide bluetop battery, which would appear to be physically smaller than the stock battery.

I'm not quite sure what is up yet, but it would appear that the battery is quite loose, and is fairly easy to move around. God knows what it will do under spirited driving...

The top battery clamp seems to be at an angle, starting higher up at the front of the car and getting lower as it goes across the battery to the bolt the other side. I'm going to try and bend this a bit better so that it clamps across the battery, but has anyone else had a similar problem with aftermarket batteries?

If so, how did you overcome this - did you fit anything else to hold the battery in place?

hmmm, ok.... I see where you are coming from....

I might try and make something up for putting under the battery, so it can be hidden from view to keep my nice shiny engine bay looking, erm, nice :)

Didn't know if this was a common issue or if it was just something with my car.

Thanks Chris :)

on my last supe i used a piece of rubber car mat cut to size

And you put that under the battery to stop it slipping? I actually have some of that non-slip rubber matting for dash pockets etc... could give that a whirl but don't hold up much hope of an ultra-firm grip.... but I suppose I can try it :)

The least creative get out is to buy the correct sized battery :)

Yeh - don't really see the point in that though as the battery was in the car when Paul E had it, and the battery is in full working order so no point in changing what aint broke ;)