The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Supra comfort.

Guest poodle

Guest poodle

I know the whole Supra Vs Skyline debate has probably been covered 1000 times on a 1000 different forums and ive read quite a bit of the debate on here however my angle is a little different.

Im looking for a new car, i have owned 3 FTO's in my time which look nice but they dont really have the get up and go that a car which looks that good should.

Im currently running a 1.8 tspark alfa 156 which feels like im driving a wet sausage as its built for fat old italian men who have been eating pizza all night.

So my debts are sorted, work now pay me a tank of fuel a week as part of my wage so its time for something new.

So i got to the Supra RZ 6spd manual or Skyline R33 GTR debate for myself. The skyline looks nice has cred insurance is a bit higher than i would like (considering im 30 this year with 5 yrs no claims) and the supra looks a lot nicer (if you can find a good example with a nice kit) and its insurance is a bit lower.

At this point however i have neither owned nor driven either vehicle and am wanting this for a daily driver to work and back, its no serious distance but my current route is a nice windy over the hills kinda route so i want to pick the right choice. Also being 6ft 6 is a consideration, i want some legroom to drive and be comfortable, im not bothered about a firm ride etc but i dont wana to be banging my head on the roof everytime i go over a bump.

what say you guys?

:hi: and :welcome:

There are some 6ft+ owners on here who have no problem, your sitting very low to the ground so its more getting out without falling @ss over t*t thats the issue!!

If your tanking it regularly over twisty bits each day, your mpg, even though you have fuel paid for could drop below the 20mpg mark with your around town mpg similar, or worse :blink:

In terms of insurance a UK TT will be less to insure than a Jspec TT (latter looked on as a grey import)

They are great, comfortable distance cruisers (depending if you have an after market suspension set up or standard) as well as fun pottering around town. Once you drive one you'll be coverted! :D then theres its lush lines, allways a head turner that you wont get with the skyline......

Happy shopping tho' ;)

Linda

Guest poodle

boot space is not that much of a worry, i have never really kept anything in the boot and i only commute myself too and from work, occasionally have the son in the car but it does have a passenger seat afterall.

I only use it for commuting too and from work, its not a company car it just to get me around. its at worst a 16 mile each way journey to work (30 mins)

Insurance cant be worse than the import fto's that i owned, even now the insurance cost of a 2litre fto is similar to that of an imported supra.

Guest sunnyG83

Just my opinion here but i reckon the supra has nicer lines than the Skyline and lie you mentioned the insurance on the Skyline will also be higher. Still hat RB26 is some powerplant and the 4wd would probably ease you into handling the power.

R33 vs Supra, I would go supra. R34 vs Supra I would go R34. Having owned a supra (450bhp 6spd) I would not want it as an everyday car, especially on windy roads, especially in winter. The AWD is very good, and DESPITE what people say, its not fool proof.

I sold my supra purely because of the lack of grip and lower speeds, the supra only really gets going at about 60 - 70 mph, legal road limit.

How do you drive to work? Heavy footed? Calm and collected?

personally I would get a run-a-round for commuting (with all the creature comforts) and then have the other for the weekend :D

For a 16 mile commute all year round I think I would get another FTO. Easier on fuel and easier to handle on those tired winter evenings.

But out of the two I would obviously have a supra but am a bit biased I am sure if you post on the skyline owners club they would all pick the skyline for their own reasons. If you want a more independant view you should probably post on a general jap forum as opposed to model specific.

All that said get a supe they are a far superior car and anyone who disagrees is clearly a fool.

Guest poodle

ive never seen the point in a weekend car, there is no point in having a car thats going to sit here for 5 days in seven, if its not drivable every day then its dead money, you pay tax, insurance and possibly in my case garage fees to keep it in just on the offchance you might wanna use it on a weekend.

i drive heavy footer and calm and collected or perhaps its somewhere in between has to be better than my friends 2.8 V6 capri that he uses for his daily driver :)

Totally agree. I drive my 550bhp Supra everyday to work and back and it's as docile or as mental as my right foot dictates.

I'm sure if your looking at buying this sort of car fuel economy isn't really a top priority.

With regard to the Supra vs Skyline, I can't comment as I've never driven a Skyline, but I can confirm how well put together the Supra feels, and looks a damn sight nicer ;)

Guest poodle

i must say the dodgy import garages around these parts tend to stock a lot of run down skylines and very very very few supras, i get the impression at least that supras tend to be more of an enthusiasts car and those that own them love them were as skylines/subarus/evo's often get bought by those that cant afford or have the knowledge (or willingness to learn) to look after them properly.

i must say the dodgy import garages around these parts tend to stock a lot of run down skylines and very very very few supras, i get the impression at least that supras tend to be more of an enthusiasts car and those that own them love them were as skylines/subarus/evo's often get bought by those that cant afford or have the knowledge (or willingness to learn) to look after them properly.

i think that is a very good point.

Guest poodle

perhaps i sold the supra to myself a long time ago and the gtr was just to the side, or perhaps this thread would have been on the gtr forums and not in here..... so who nearby gonna let me loose and have a sit in their car? Not to mention sell me one :)