The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Colour Coding

simbasupra

I know a few of you have colour coded the standard sills and splitter on your supras. I have looked at a few previous posts and i have seen sugestions to use plastic primer and flexible lacquer. Is this the correct way to go about it without cracking?

Also is it the norm to paint the active spolier aswell? Any pics with or without the active spoiler being painted would be great too.:)

Thanks.

hi simba

you need to smooth the texture of the plastic 1st,as it tends to draw the gloss back when the paint cures otherwise

1st get them off the car to do it properly

then i'd start with p400 wet n dry till the texture is gone then move onto p800 wet n dry to remove the p400 scratch's.

once smooth,preclean with a solvent spirit wipe.

then plastic adhesion primer (upol no 2),let this flash off till it looks dry.

then high build prime,if your doing this at home upol hi 5 is quiet good,otherwise proper 2 pack is better.

once dry flat this with p800 wet n dry again and id finish the prep off with a 1000 abralon pad before colour.

you can add flexing agent to the clear but it slows the drying process,and most quality clears are fairly flexible these days.

its not a 5 minute job to do it properly and time and care on the prep side will make a big difference to the final finish

have fun and expect sore fingers at the end of it.

Thanks mate

The bodyshop that did my respray are going to do them so hopefully they should know what to do (just wanted to know so i can make sure they do it right). The only reason they decided not to do them originally is because they thought it would stone chip to easily. Has anyone encountered this problem? Also do people usually do the active spoiler?

hi simba

you need to smooth the texture of the plastic 1st,as it tends to draw the gloss back when the paint cures otherwise

1st get them off the car to do it properly

then i'd start with p400 wet n dry till the texture is gone then move onto p800 wet n dry to remove the p400 scratch's.

once smooth,preclean with a solvent spirit wipe.

then plastic adhesion primer (upol no 2),let this flash off till it looks dry.

then high build prime,if your doing this at home upol hi 5 is quiet good,otherwise proper 2 pack is better.

once dry flat this with p800 wet n dry again and id finish the prep off with a 1000 abralon pad before colour.

you can add flexing agent to the clear but it slows the drying process,and most quality clears are fairly flexible these days.

its not a 5 minute job to do it properly and time and care on the prep side will make a big difference to the final finish

have fun and expect sore fingers at the end of it.

That should be put in the facts and guides section if thats how to do it:)