The mkiv Supra Owners Club

paddle shifts

supraspeed

ok let me rephrase... has anyone tried making there own paddle shifts...a tuning company or something for the supra. i read somewhere a while ago someone did it to there focus st.

Confused as 'paddle shifts' usually are for automatics and a Focus ST is a 6 speed manual not an auto. Are you trying/wanting to convert an auto or tiptronic to paddles? If so there was a firm on eBay doing 'flappy paddles' for FTO's which maybe could be 'modified' they went under the name wheelspacersrus on eBay

Confused as 'paddle shifts' usually are for automatics and a Focus ST is a 6 speed manual not an auto

paddle shifts are very easy on autos as the solenoids are electronically controlled, the problem is most of them are just stock autos that dont make the most of the technology and gear changes can be ponderous, then you have AMT (automated manual transmission) this is a manual with a clutch that uses pneumatic shifters or solenoids to operate the gears and clutch, not cheap though to retro fit to a standard manual but kits are available

looks fun lol. my dads just bought a maserati gransport with paddle shifts and it looks well great!

Does your dad have trouble shifting up or down without having to 'lift off' momentarily? I had a drive in a Gransport back in 2005 and if you tried a 'full throttle' change it was really 'jerky'!

paddle shifts are very easy on autos as the solenoids are electronically controlled, the problem is most of them are just stock autos that dont make the most of the technology and gear changes can be ponderous, then you have AMT (automated manual transmission) this is a manual with a clutch that uses pneumatic shifters or solenoids to operate the gears and clutch, not cheap though to retro fit to a standard manual but kits are available

Paul that is very true, but the point I was making was that an ST Focus is a 6 speed manual and thus not able to convert to paddles!

I do think a Tiptronic VVTi would benefit from paddles as the steering wheel buttons are considered too small and a change to paddles would also enable to use of a TRD wheel as well:eyebrows:

this is a company i am looking at for a non supra related project http://www.mastershift.com/ there site is a little sketchy so dont know if they do a supra kit, they convert the H pattern into a cable operated sequential with solenoids

Paul, have tried that link several times without success - maybe here in China but every time I try I get the 'page was reset whilst loading' crap! What do that company offer? Cheers Tee

Paul, have tried that link several times without success - maybe here in China but every time I try I get the 'page was reset whilst loading' crap! What do that company offer? Cheers Tee

its an electronically controlled manual gearbox conversion but they have some nice steering wheel gear