The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Loud Bubbling Expansion Tank

Glosphil

Hi Guys

I've noticed after a few spirited drives around, that when I turn off the engine, moments later a loud bubbling/gurgling sound appears from the engine bay, on inspection the expansion tank is filling rapidly and bubbling violently. After about 10 mins of bubbling away, it suddenly goes back in the radiators. The level in the tank is also then lower than the max line, but I'd filled it a week ago to the max line. There is evidence that the tank has overflowed.

The temperature guage reads normal, the engine bay is hot, but guess thats normal.

What is the cause of this?

BTW the expansion tank is the one I relcoated with the new one from Greddy when I got my FMIC.

Thanks

No, its the one it came with? does it make a diff?

well its my understanding that a weak (ie old) cap can allow more flow into the overflow tank than it should when the engine is up to operating temp.......

when its cooled down i'd take the cap off and take a look at the rubber and check the spring, if it looks at all dodgy for the sake of £10-15 i'd get a new one and see if it helps......

Update on this after reading a bit, I've been out and felt the top of the rad and top rad pipe (got a metal one) both are still hot. top of engine is hot. Bottom rubber rad pipe is cold. If I squeeze it, I hear coolant going through the rad so maybe not blocked? Should the bottom pipe be cold? could the rad cap do this too?

Thanks

ok, further update. took cap off, there is a black washer that fell out as I took it off, put my finger in the hole and removed a smaller black washer and a metal ring. There is no spring? I guess its knackered !

If there is a spring, I guess its in the rad..... what will this do?

Yes see that now, but what about the spring? can I just leave it in there?

If you can't fish it out with a magnet on a stick then it won't do any harm in there. It's too large to get through the thermostat or something I believe?