The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seized Caliper finally sorted.

d00gzy

Ive been runnin about the odd day with a sticky rear caliper, sometimes it would be fine but other days it would make the brake disk quite hot! But ive finally got it sorted!

Got the refurb kit from Toyota at £36 and was well worth it!

It turns out dust seal had streched over the piston and bonded to it, not pretty, in the end the cause of the problem was a seized sliding pin (Which was also in a bit of a mess).

Used a grinder to take all the crap off the sliding pin and piston now runs sweet as!

Does anyone know the part number for the sliding pins as it would be nice to get new ones back in there (and the number for the piston itself?).

Also on the look out for new pads as the heat has ruined them causing them to crumble a little, still really thick but not the best round the edges.

HIya mate

got to get mine done to, so this info be handy

car seems to struggle to drive thinng could be the caliper causing this espacially when checking tyres the one feels very hot comapred to the other 3 .

Nisar

theres a good chance this could be the problem then, better to get it sorted as you will go through brake pads like mad and end up screwing your disk too! The best way to tell is go a drive and spray some water on both disks and check to see if one is overly hot! For the price of the caliper overhaul kit, you will save money in the long run and save further damage to you braking components!

Had this happen to mine just after I got it, Mark at Phoenix sorted it for me as the piston was also knackered as above. If you think it may be an issue get it sorted otherwise you have a potential fire hazard through overheating....

I did a mates a couple of months ago, sticking on. This is what your piston should look like

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Swampy29/DSC00077.jpg

And this is a fooked one :blink:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Swampy29/DSC00080.jpg

Where the rust stops and the fesculised bit starts is where it welded itself to the caliper

Glad my piston never looked like that, just had the dust seal stuck over it. Anyone know if you can get the piston itself from toyota?