The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What does a misfire feel like?

Ben-san

Having owned this car for a while now, I've learned to notice the smallest things like new noises or weird behaviour. I then get paranoid, and stop driving till I get an expert's opinion it before it amounts to any serious damage. Unlucky then, that this happens on a weekend :(.

I'm not sure what the symptoms point to, but my first educated guess is a misfire:

On acceleration, mostly higher in the RPM range, the car seems to hesitate intermittently. Like 'brrrrraaaab-b-braaaaaaaaaaab-braa..."

This is on IK22, 440cc, 255lph, 1.1 BAR max setup. Shall I have the plugs changed? Or do you guys know if there's anything else that can cause this?

B

Yeah that seems like miss fire to me dude.....how old are your plugs ? Have you had them out to see what they look like, they might be a bit coked up and dirty, try giving them a clean, with some sandpaper, dont use things like brake cleaner or WD40 or anything, keep them dry ;) Or just get a new set ?

Before you go changing your plugs just take off all the coil pack connectors and look at them first. I will find a link.

Here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=61141 when you take them off you may find if they are old or original that the white bits crumble and some of the black inserts too. Just give them a gental poke with a tiny screw driver to make sure they are solid.

Before you go changing your plugs just take off all the coil pack connectors and look at them first. I will find a link.

Here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=61141 when you take them off you may find if they are old or original that the white bits crumble and some of the black inserts too. Just give them a gental poke with a tiny screw driver to make sure they are solid.

Yeah if its not your plugs then its what supplies them their spark, either coil packs or loom....;)

Thank gawd/Mawbs for multi-quote...

Yeah that seems like miss fire to me dude.....how old are your plugs ? Have you had them out to see what they look like, they might be a bit coked up and dirty, try giving them a clean, with some sandpaper, dont use things like brake cleaner or WD40 or anything, keep them dry ;) Or just get a new set ?

Thanks, I'm relieved that it may be something as simple as that. I was under the impression that Iridium plugs are good for a long period of time - perhaps two years is pushing it a little.

Before you go changing your plugs just take off all the coil pack connectors and look at them first

Yeah if its not your plugs then its what supplies them their spark, either coil packs or loom....;)

I would, but I'm scared that in doing so, I'll snap the coilpacks or split the crankcase hose. But hey, that may be the issue as you've said, and might be a good idea to do a little preventative maintenance.

Love the noise :), it sounds like you're desperate to get hold of a bra :D

Does sound like a miss from that though

I was waiting for that :) Always difficult to describe noises... I tried to describe a dodgy wheel bearing once - the best way turned out to be "cat woman in her PVCs, but running really fast" :D

Thanks all!

Ooh ooh, one more question:

Would it harm the car to run it like this?

It can do, but thats only a possibility, this is how I killed my CA18DET engine in my S13, it was miss firing and because it wasnt burning the fuel, it caused excessive bore wash and killed the piston rings, but those engines are really weak compared to the 2JZ, but I would get it sorted as soon as you are able to.....;)

Might be worth not fully boosting as well until its sorted to save it throwing in more fuel then it has to.....;)