The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel & Tyre help required - Width/brand & overfenders

Pabs

Hey peeps

It would seem that after todays checkover of my car, I'm in need of fixing a few things. One is the rear tyres.

The car has 19" Blitz Technospeed Z1 alloys on, and I think (need to confirm) that the rear wheels are 10".

Tyres at front are 245/35/19, and are fine.

Tyres at rear are 275/30/19, and although have plenty of tread left, they are perishing around the lip edge, and one has a huge nail in. They are VERY stretched to get on these wheels, and are not wide enough for them.

I'm really hoping I could get Goodyear Assymetrics on, but not sure yet.

I also have the Veilside overfenders on, and the wheels do not fill the arches at the rear - do people with these overfenders or similar use spacers to fill it a bit better?

wow.. big edit....

The rear wheels sit too far inboard - They'd look fine without the overfenders on, but with them on it looks like the wheels need to be further out (by adding spacers or changing offset perhaps?)

Does that make sense?

buy another set of rear wheels with 12" width and wider tyres?

Well, I'd think that that would really screw up handling - wider tyres, less grip.... and tyres would be astronomically priced. But it is an option I suppose.

Who uses spacers - and how big were they?

I'm surpsried you have even noticed the difference in profile, I thought everyone had biger on the front? I have 40 on front and 35 on rear, always been told that was correct for the supra.

I love your wheels, suit the car very well, I never noticed they didn't come out as far as the overfenders either.

Yeh, the profile difference is just something to get used to I think. Mainly, I think the problem is because the rears are lower profile, and are then stretched across the wheel, meaning the sidewall isn't as visible because it's at an angle, if you get me....

I just need to find some tyres that are wide enough to fit onto the wheels.

All - is it a simple case of measuring the width of the wheels to see if it is a 10j? I then need to phone around to some of the tyre fitters locally to see what they have and recommend.

Thats because GSD3's are discontinued, and they never made them in that size to begin with :D

Gaz.

Yeh, I knew that about GSD3's, but I don't know what is a good tyre in the size I need... I see some good reviews on Toyo but understand they are relatively soft compound, so wear quicker?

Yeh, I knew that about GSD3's, but I don't know what is a good tyre in the size I need... I see some good reviews on Toyo but understand they are relatively soft compound, so wear quicker?

Yeah, but they are not *that* much softer than Goodyears though.

Toyo's are a good choice. What rears do you have at the mo?

275's should not be stretched on a 10", thats for sure.

Gaz.

hmmm, ok then, maybe I c*cked up somewhere.... Is it just a case of measuring the width of the wheel with a tape measure, and 10j is 10" ??

I'm gonna nip outside and measure the wheel now and see what I can find out.

Ok well I'm a bit confused, so will probably need someone with knowledge to check out my wheels. I have PM'd Paul E to see if he remembers what size they are, but on measurement they look like they are 11" wide at rear, and about 9" wide at front. It is awkward to measure them with them on the car and with a tape measure though.

According to Blitz's website, http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2089.aspx, they only make them up to a 10.5" size.........

You'll be measuring wrong probably:

http://www.raceandroad.com/wheelsizes.asp

They'll be 10 or 10.5"...

Gaz.

On that basis, and the fact that the 275 tyres look stretched and don't really fit the wheel that well, I think it must be a 10.5" then. But I'll not guess, I'll get a tyre fitter to measure. At least that means I can probably go for 285 and be ok.

Ta

It'll be written on the back/inside of the wheel, no need to measure :)

285 will be ideal on a 10.5"

Gaz.

Thanks mate. Will it be on a label, or stamped in the wheel? I found a couple of labels, but they are mostly peeled off and unreadable.

Wheel sizes are on the inside of the rims m8

Talk to Ibbrar about getting the right offsets on some new wheels if you are looking to fill the overarches

They already have max spacers on already!

I think Jamie P had -20 offsets on his rear (Oo-er missus!) Which would make sense as the normal (I seem to remember) will be +35

The arches increase by 50mm

35-50= -15

etc

But do check it out! ;)

thanks buddy! Didn't notice any spacers when the wheels were off.. but then it was on ramps and I only got a brief look as I had to nip out...

I love the wheels and ideally want to keep them - just want to see what options I have :)