The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shmoking getting worse

DannoSupra

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could do it all myself, but i never got the time and patience for my own cars!!!

But i might be taking the engine out soon, and sending the car to the bodyshop, that's if i decide not too sell... BUT saying that, i cant sell it with nakerd stem seals!

Was thinking of making a Compression Tool with a nakerd Compresion tester and gauge i got in work, and just compress the chamber, or use a rope

we'll see how it goes :thumbs:

When i start the car i get no smoke, but if i start the car & instantly drive off, not fast at all 10-15mph through works carpark, i get big puff of smoke out the back for a second then its gone. Is this the start of something bad? If youre no mechanic & cant repair thnigs yourself, how much would it set you back to fix it in the end?

Mmmm, doesnt look too bad yet. Mine will send a huge cloud of smoke across the carpark after sitting for two weeks and take a good 30sec to rev clear. Mines a 93 with 86k. Never see the smoke again really apart from a little if its sat for a few days.

Also getting some oil mist out the BOV.

I had worn valve seals that I had replaced and the symptoms were different, smoke on a cold start up then after a few seconds it cleared, it did not return until started from cold again, could your problem be turbo seals ?

If you mean me, I didnt even spool up the turbos, was going slow

This would be my bet too. Turbo seals.

The turbo will of leaked oil exhaust side whilst the car was sat still as the turbo side is warming smoke is generated.

Im sure stem seals were different.

so will it smoke a lot during acceleration if its turbo seals? my mate was behind my car when we were both going all out & he didnt see any.

Any general prices for stem seals or turbo seals replacement?

If its smoking when under acceleration it means they are just worse. Often going BPU can show up worn turbo seals due to lower pressure on the exhaust side letting oil by If i remember correctly.

mine smoked alot more on start up (it was an embarisment to start i hated it )and if you left it for 3 hours or more and started it again it would smoke again i've just done the valve stem seals with the head on it took a few hours but no more smoke so it was worth it

speedo says 125k and its on a jap spec but the turbos seem fine still

Does it do this all the time ? valve stem seals unless there shot clear after a few seconds, my cars done 120,000 miles and smokes for 2-3 seconds then clears, even after being sat for sometime say a week without running its the same.

If they turn out to be turbo seals as well as stem seals, is there a way of repairing the turbo seals??

If you stay on the twins just get them rebuilt, turbo technics quoted me under £700 for each turbo for a full rebuild and upgrade of internals with 2 year warrenty