The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interesting Supra fact ?

Muffleman

I have a good friend who is quite senior at toyota technical europe. He popped into the workshop today and noticed we had a late facelift TT.

Apparently, the last of the Supra's were hand assembled ! Unlike the factory built cars, they were put together in the same factory as the Toyota Century, and he knew this as he'd been there when they were being built.

I'm sure some of you already knew this, but I didn't :)

it became such a low volume car that they moved production to a smaller facility for financial reasons.

Not sure how handbuilt they would be but it would certainly have been a less pressured production line and so the quality may be better.

I had forgotten they moved production so thanks for reminding me.

Not sure how handbuilt they would be but it would certainly have been a less pressured production line and so the quality may be better.

yeh i agree i'd think handbuilt would be overplaying it a little (lot!)

All M22's are possibly cars from May 97 onwards, where the VIN number restart with 1000001?

Interesting!

Is there any evidence that hand buit is any better than machine built. After all, machines don't go for a pi$$ or a brew and forget where they are up to and they also aren't aware that it's Friday afternoon and the pubs are open!!

Just a thought!:)

H.

Interesting!

Is there any evidence that hand buit is any better than machine built.

to be fair there is not much evidence they were handbuilt. It probably was just as Branners said and it was moved to a smaller lower production plant to make way for the production of tens of thousands of the latest MR2 or celica........

I deliberately refrained from saying hand built and chose hand assembled instead. I just thought it was interesting when you think of the cache given to the likes of the old M5 and Aston's as they are 'hand built'.

Just passing on something that was told to me buy someone who would know ;)

i wasn't having a go, and you're right your friend knows better than i :) just thought some were running away with the notion of hand built/hand assembled...............all the models i've had, robot or hand assembled, have all been well screwed together :)

i wasn't having a go, and you're right your friend knows better than i :) just thought some were running away with the notion of hand built/hand assembled...............all the models i've had, robot or hand assembled, have all been well screwed together :)

Apart from that squeak I can't locate in the dash somewhere :D

Yeah I know mate, no stress :)

having spent most of my working life in factorys i would have to disagree with this, hand built introduces all the inacuracys of a human into the equation, were they out on the p**s last night, will my wife leave me, how will i pay that bill etc etc, on the production line everything is rigidly controlled so there is less margin for error, its still an interesting fact though

Build quality of these cars is fantastic regardless if it's hand or machine built. It's the quality of components that make the car for me, not whether a human or a robot built it.

I agree with this. What is it exactly about hand built that could mean it is better than machine or robot built? It sounds romantic but this is engineering a car, not painting a picture

mk1 MR2's were hand built by retiered ex Toyota workers earning some pocket money, mk2 MR2's were hand assembled in a seperate factory to the main Toyota ones.

Perhaps that's where the 2000-2002 Supras were built after the 1989-2000 MR2's ceased production?